Re: Visit to Switzerland

csipromo

I sent Barrie a reply by Private Message

I am posting an edit here for all:

Here is a recommended itinerary for a 5 Day Trip:

Day 1:
Zuerich HB - Winterthur - St Gallen
Travelling by EWIV, IC2000 or ICN
St. Gallen - Rapperswil - Biberbrugg - Arth Goldau* - Lucerne
Travel by Voralpen Express along the SOB line back to the Lake of
Zuerich and then across the foothills of Schwyz to Arth Goldau. There
you can take a side trip up the Rigi, and then continue on to Lucerne
for the night.

Day 2:
Lucerne - Gotthard - Locarno - Domodossola - Brig - Interlaken
A trip through the famous Gotthard tunnel, see the Church at Wassen
and the many viaducts and tunnels before you enter Italian speaking
Ticino.
In the afternoon, take the train from Locarno to Domodossola, where
you will board a northbound train through the Simplon tunnel to Brig.
From Brig, take a train north, either on the Loetschberg route or
through the New Base Tunnel to Spiez and on to Interlaken.

Day 3:
Take the BLS from Interlaken to Zweisimmen, change to the narrow
gauge MOB for a ride on the Golden Pass Express to Gstaad and down to
Montreux on Lake Geneva. From there, take a train to Geneva for the
night.

Day 4:
Take a train from Geneva to Brig, changing there to the MGB for a
ride on the Glacier Express heading up into the mountains and on to
St Moritz in the Engadin.

Day 5:
Take a train from St Moritz to Chur on the RhB, where you will
transfer to the SBB for the trip on to Zuerich.

That, my friends, is how to see the best of Switzerland in 5 days.
More info available at www.myswitzerland.com, www.sob.ch, www.sbb.ch,
www.goldenpass.ch.

I recommend that you consider a Swiss Holiday Card, which entitles
you to free transit on most swiss railroads as well as on local buses
and trams in most cities as well as discounted fares on alpine trains
and cable cars.

If you are on a budget, you can buy sandwiches at most major stations
or on the train, which is less expensive than restaurants in the
cities.