Re: Film of the Le-chemin-de-fer-du-Saleve

gordonwis

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Guerbetaler" <guerbetaler@...> wrote:

We should mention that Etrembières had a tram connection to
Genève as well, but it made a little "détour" through Annemasse.
Originally standard gauge, it opened in 1883/1892 (just in time
for the opening of the Salève rack railway), was changed to
meter gauge and electrified in 1902 and closed in 1939 for the
Annemasse - Etrembières section but survived until 1959 from
the boarder to Annemasse.

Markus, Gürbetal
Yes, we sould indeed but I didn't want to make the post too long and
indigestible.

I can confirm that both routes are shown as an integral Swiss table in
my Swiss National Kursbuch (not a timetable in the 'other countries'
number sequence as is the adjacent PLM line. This timetable also
confirms both routes took 1 hour from the starting points of Veyrier
and Etrembieres of the Saleve railway to Treize Arbres (top station),
compared to the later 3 minutes by cable car!