Re: Old stock

Rob V

Krist van Besien wrote:

I think I know however why I was the only passenger on the train, and it
probably has a lot to do with the railway not finding becoming
"progressive
and efficient" that important. I think that if the service was
composed of
half hourly flirts in stead of a handful loco hauled trains a day
that it
might be more popular.
Why not have half-hourly modern loco-hauled trains? A regular service
with a loco-hauled train which can be re-formed to cater for demand
seems the best way forward to me.
Provided you have a money tree, which doesn't exist in the real world.
Obviously the Germans, Lux and Poles have money trees then :-) Look at
ALEX, NOB, Metronom, DB Regio, CFL and KM for some examples of either
loco-hauled or push-pull 'modern' trains.

Seriously, I have no objection to push-pull. However I feel that many
operators are becoming obsessed with MUs to the extent that they will
have no go-anywhere stock in a few years time.

On the continent, when ski-trains or football specials are run the
operators can produce a rake of loco-hauled coaches which can travel
from one end of Europe to the other (and frequently do) with a couple of
loco changes en-route.

This type of coach is rarely being built now (notable are OSE and ZSSK
in recent years which have received new hauled IC stock, and I believe
PKP will shortly order some coaches... and don't talk to me about
Railjet!), which means in 20 years or so these trains will simply not
run. Go-anywhere MUs would rely on carrying too many safety, electrical
and signalling systems to make them viable.

This is where loco-hauled does work.

I think there should be a healthy mix of MUs for local services where
the loadings are generally guaranteed, and hauled or push-pull stock
where longer journeys and flexibility of formation is required.

The other thing which no one seems to point out is that most operators
prefer full-width cabs which means that one cannot walk through a train
formed of several MUs (in Britain we have some MUs which are
gangwayed-throughout, but not on IC routes!). On a long-distance service
this means more train crew than necessary*, particularly the bizarre
case of trains with two buffet cars where only one is necessary (French
TGV, German ICE3 or British Class 22x). This is a waste of seating space
plus it inconveniences passengers who get on one half of a train and
find their seat is in the other half!

* Then we get back to Krist's money trees :-)

Finally, am I the only person who doesn't mind arriving 20min later in
order to avoid a vomit-inducing tilting train?
--
Rob
http://www.uicstock.org.uk/