Re: Gotthard passenger services in the future

Bill Bolton

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 01:18:09 +0200, Markus wrote:

I believe that the IR...
"To believe" is a synonym to "to not know"... ;-)
Krist's belief, which was accompanied with an explanation of the
reasoning behind it, deserves a better treatment than that (smiley or
not)!

In normal international English language usage, the expression "I
believe that" is a 'short hand' conversational convention for the
longer formal statement "I have good reason to believe that" - so it
is *not* synomic with "not know" in any way.

In normal international English language usage, the expression "I
think that" is a 'short hand' conversational convention for the longer
formal statement "I have an apprehension, but am not certain, that" -
which would usually be regarded be at least somewhat synomic with "not
know".

As an example: "I believe that is possible" is a *much* stronger
conversational assertion than "I think that is possible".

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia