Re: BBC commentary on Swiss Railway Ticketing

Krist van Besien

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Heléna Moretti
<helena.moretti@btinternet.com> wrote:
As for the debate on the strict application of the new penalty fares for Swiss transport users, to place such a rule in the hands of mere mortals is a little unfair of the authorities. They ask their inspectors to judge a stranger or hide behind a rule book when it is plain to see what the easiest course of action is. The aim is to stop fare dodgers and save taxes, the principle that results is that you (as a passenger) are totally responsible for ensuring you have a valid ticket and all the supporting documents you need before you step on a train. The result of strict adherence to the rule and its principles are you alienate many to punish the few.
I don't understand what you are getting at with the above paragraph. I
think it is very fair to the conductors that they are no longer
required to make difficult judgement calls, and can just apply the
rules. Let customers service debate with the passengers.
I doubt that the strickt application will alienate many, as people are
quite used to having tickets before boarding the train. The rule
already existed for local trains.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com