Re: BBC commentary on Swiss Railway Ticketing

Krist van Besien

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Heléna Moretti
<helena.moretti@btinternet.com> wrote:

Inspector R: Ah, you really need to have a passport with you in future for this ticket to be valid. Now do you have any other form of photo identification, ah yes, a driver's licence, I can see the name on ticket matches the one on that license and that the picture is you. Have a wonderful stay in Switzerland and don't forget to bring your passport with you next time.
Now which Inspector has done the best job for SBB? In the short-term, Inspector K took the old English pair to the cleaners for a CHF350, I bet he felt good.
I don't think he felt good. SBB conductors aren't like that.

Inspector R however has probably ensured that the couple return again, with a potential spend not just of CHF 500 for their passes but also a similar sum in food, twice that in accommodation and more rosy tales of friendly staff amongst the stunning Alpine scenery. These two scenarios reflect the reality of that day, the second scenario was close to that of the guard who checked our tickets as we left Locarno, he accepted alternative documents without problem. The first scenario matched closely the attitude of the guard who checked the tickets as we pulled out of Luzern.

So in the case of the guard when you pulled out of Luzern you offered
alternative documents, and they were not accepted? What were they?
Because I don't think that passports are a requirement to get a Swiss
Pass. Otherwise people without passports couldn't get them. But a
proper photo ID probably is.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com