Wipkingen line and the Durchmesserlinie

Chris Wood

The recent discussion on Zurich Hauptbahnhof platforms 51-54 caused me to take a closer look at the station approaches on Google Maps, and raised a question as to what usage the Wipkingen line will see once the Durchmesserlinie is fully open.

As best I can see from Google, there is no route from Wipkingen into the existing S-Bahn tunnel. Platforms 51-54 will be gone, so trains from Wipkingen cannot go there. There may or may not be a route into the new Durchmesserlinie tunnel, but even if there is a routing from Oerlikon to Oerlikon doesn't seem very useful. That just leaves terminating or reversing in the main line surface platforms.

At present all the regular S-Bahn services that currently serve Wipkingen (S2/S8/S14) reverse in surface platforms before continuing to Wiedikon. But reversing trains seems contrary to the concept of the Durchmesserlinie, and I assume these trains will run from Oerlikon via the Durchmesserlinie. And it seems that the through long-distance trains will do likewise.

Which doesn't leave much to run down the Wipkingen line, or to serve Wipkingen station. Does anybody know what the plans are for this line.

Join main@SwissRail.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.