Re: Interesting dversions on 11+12 April

Max Wyss

And to clarify, the former Zug loop that Martin refers to in his earlier
posts is this one,
picked out in red. It is still pretty easy to identify from the air, and
doesn't look as if it
has been built on or over. Why was it closed?.
The Zug loop from Steinhausen got closed because a direct access from the
Kollermühle reduces the travel time from Steinhausen to Zug by a good 3
minutes. If you look at the map, it was a very tight curve, limied to
something like 50 or so km/h (may have been a little bit more, but it is
quite a long timee ago since a train I rode on went through that curve).
And from there to the actual platforms, speed was limited to 40 km/h,
because all within yard area.

Most of that line is now a footpath.

Also, the two parallel tracks were needed for the double track between Zug
and Cham; there is not much space available in places so that a third track
could have been laid, and the underground is really not the best there; no
wonder the area is also called "the swamp".

These 3 minutes earlier arrival or later departure are important for the
connections in Zug. Otherwise, there would be conflicts between the S-Bahn
from Steinhausen and the Zug "S-Bahn" from (Luzern -) Cham, and then the
express from Luzern.

When the loop was still in operation, and the Heitersberg line not open
yet, there were a few freight trains Gotthard - Zürich which actually got
routed through the piggy county line (the nickname of the Affoltern county
is "Säuliamt", piggy county). One was kind of famous, because it was used
to transfer locomotives repaired in Bellinzona to Zürich, and I do remember
a double-header Ce 6/8" + Be 4/6. I remember attempting to take a picture
of that train, but the famous fog from the Reusstal made it pretty
difficult. I don't know whether that slide got lost in the various moves
since then…

Max.