Gotthard tunnel celebration

John Lovda

I was thinking about going to Switzerland for the opening of the new tunnel. However.....I just received a monthly SBB e-mail news letter and it stated they are expecting 50,000 to 100,000 people for the events on June 5 and 6!!! They will also be taking reservation shortly for rides through the tunnel. I assume all of these people will be gathering at the depots at Erstfeld and the Italian side. I wonder about hotels. It sounds like I wouldn't be able to ride thru for a week after the opening. What a paradox.