From: SwissRail@... [mailto:SwissRail@...]
Sent: 02 June 2016 20:49
To: SwissRail@...
Subject: [SwissRail] New Albula Tunnel Question

I went through the Albula tunnel on Wednesday. At Preda there was an amazing
array of conveyors removing crushed stone from the new Albula Tunnel to be
completed in 2020. Can someone answer a question regarding the new tunnel?
Why are they digging it? It's supposed to run parallel to the current
tunnel, no shorter or longer. It will not be used for bidirectional traffic;
the current tunnel will be used for emergency purposes only. I assume that
means there will be several cross links. Does the current tunnel have
structural problems? Will it be too small for future trains?

Thanks,
John