Re: Gotthard Base Tunnel open

Bill Bolton

On 05 Jun 2016 16:04:19 -0700, Tim wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it called a base tunnel? So far my
searches have not turned up a clue.
"Base" tunnels are low down on a mountain and aim to minimise the need
for a train to ascend to/descend from a mid-level or summit tunnel.
They provide a generally direct route with very moderate gradients and
curvature to provide a faster, shorter and all weather trip 'through'
a mountain (rather than 'across' a mountain).

Other existing Swiss base tunnels include the Furka and Lötschberg
tunnels, while there are a couple more currently under construction.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia