Re: Serious Austrian accident: Concern about Stadler KISS crashworthyness

Tim Johnson

Max, you bring up an interesting point. I'm completely unfamiliar with European crashworthiness standards, so bear with me. Is the standard based on the mass of just the lok? The amount of damage in a collision is going to depend on the mass of both trains, and the angle of impact between them; everything else being equal. Since trains are of arbitrary lengths, and thus masses, I don't see how crashworthiness has much meaning. So, I guess my question is what does crashworthiness really mean.
Thank,
--
Tim Timothy A Johnson, Tucson, AZ (www.sbb-bls-bahnen.com) European Train Enthusiasts, Central Arizona Chapter (www.ete.org)

[TOFU repaired by moderator]