Re: SBB Cargo Changes

John Beaulieu

Interesting that this just concerns domestic SBB Cargo operations and doesn't include SBBCI. I wonder about the sale of the Re482 locomotives as they would seem to be logical replacements for the Re420/421/430 locomotives which have rheostatic electrical braking rather than regenerative braking. Will the fact that the older locomotives are fully depreciated be enough to offset the electrical power costs that could be saved using the newer locomotives, The newer locomotives have meters to measure electric power usage, while I doubt that the
older locomotives have such equipment. Also with the slow spread of ETCS signalling across Switzerland, will it be cost effective to continue to equip older locomotives with the necessary
equipment?

John Beaulieu