Re: Cross-border capacity

Krist van Besien

On Dec 11, 2019, 21:35 +0100, George Raymond <geor@bluewin.ch>, wrote:
I do not require direct trains. They could have just kept the short cross platform connection in Basel between the TGV and the IC to Interlaken.
In this case it is entirely the SBB’s fault, for chaning the schedule on the Basel - Bern…
Krist
In the other direction, a connection time of just a few minutes to a TGV in Basel (for example) is risky. I try to leave a connection time of at least a half hour.

If a late SBB train made me miss my TGV in Basel, I don't know what would happen if I went into the Basel SBB ticket office, showed my SNCF online TGV ticket on my mobile phone, and tried to get a replacement ticket on a TGV two hours later. (Perhaps someone who has done this can comment.)

A shorter connection time in Mulhouse or Strasbourg to a Paris-bound TGV is okay, because in those cities only SNCF is involved if I miss the connection and I know from experience the SNCF ticket office will take care of me.
I’ve done Interlaken - Paris 6 times this year. Each time the IC was on time, and the connection worked.

When the direct Bern - Paris was still running I took it once. When it arrived in Basel it waited there for a delayed IC from Bern, and left for Paris a few minutes late. That is when I decided that the direct train (which was actually slower) was pointless, and I think that most Swiss choose the faster IC+TGV combination.
Which is why I could understand SBB withdrawing the direct Bern - Paris TGV. With the short transfer in Basel you have 6 fast connections to Paris per day.

But now they broke that…

One of the things I do when travelling internationally on e-tickets is to print out the tickets on paper. So the ticket office staff has something they can put a HOTNAT stamp on. But I did not need to test this so far.

And anyway, changing to a TGV Lyria train you are not changing from SBB to SNCF, you are changing from SBB to SBB. SBB is on of the operators listed on your ticket, even for Basel - Paris tickets.

Krist