Re: Driver killed in BLS collision in Germany

Guerbetaler

Am 09.04.2020 um 17:02 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
I am also curious about how the leading ROLA car went completely
under the train's couchette coach. Does this indicate some problem
with the design of the coupler and buffer system of the ROLA cars?
Why should it be a problem? It is a fact and in this accident we can say that it was a big advantage and helped the lorry drivers to survive.

The ROLA cars must have the floor as deep as possible to let enough height for the 4 m of the lorries. Thus the wheels are reduced to a diameter of 36 or 38 cm. Between the bogies the floor is somewhat lowered. This keeps the edge of the lorries at about 4.40 m above rail.

This allows a simple loading and unloading but requires the standard couplings to be swivel-mounted. They can withstand normal forces in a train but they are clearly the first part to be destroyed in a collision. As seen.

Markus, G├╝rbetal