Re: Slip coaches in Switzerland?

Guerbetaler

Am 05.07.2020 um 07:43 schrieb jtatum43:
Recently I saw a post about the old practice (ended in 1960) in the
U.K. of having "slip coaches" on some trains to save station time.
The slip coach would be a carriage on the end of the train which was
uncoupled at speed to roll into a station on its on. Has there ever
been such a practice in Switzerland?
I'm not aware of such a practice anywhere in the world, except the UK. I'm quite sure it never existed in Switzerland, for several reasons:

The practice is the more efficient the faster a train can go. For a long time Switzerland didn't have speeds in the range that you fond in the UK. Early electric locomotives reached 100 km/h or a maximum of 110. Only the Re 4/4 I (1945) brought that up to 125 and the Re 4/4 II (1964) to 140.

Electric locomotives accelerate faster than steam engines. Loss of time to reach 110 km/h again with an electric locomotive is not that much as a to reach again 160 with a steam engine.

The practice only helps in one direction and only as destination. E.g. a coach dropped in Aarau from a Zürich - Olten train only helps passengers Zürich - Aarau. It doesn't help for
- Aarau - Olten
- Aarau - Zürich
- Olten - Aarau (however, this could be dropped from Olten - Zürich).