Re: Slip coaches in Switzerland?

Vincent LE BIHAN

Outside the United Kingdom, this practice was at least used in France.  Some trains from Paris to Le Havre had coaches for St-Valéry-en-Caux, Fécamp and Étretat that were uncoupled before the bifurcation of Bréauté : http://roland.arzul.pagesperso-orange.fr/exploitation/voiture_directe.htm

                            Ooooo
                                             Ooooo
  ________________       ___       iiii
  |_[___] [__]_[___]_|       |[_]|_n_n_[]_
  |_______________|       ||  ||_____|__|)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Le dim. 5 juil. 2020 à 14:17, Guerbetaler <guerbetaler@...> a écrit :
Am 05.07.2020 um 07:43 schrieb jtatum43:
> Recently I saw a post about the old practice (ended in 1960) in the
> U.K. of having "slip coaches" on some trains to save station time.
> The slip coach would be a carriage on the end of the train which was
> uncoupled at speed to roll into a station on its on.  Has there ever
> been such a practice in Switzerland?

I'm not aware of such a practice anywhere in the world, except the UK.
I'm quite sure it never existed in Switzerland, for several reasons:

The practice is the more efficient the faster a train can go. For a long
time Switzerland didn't have speeds in the range that you fond in the
UK. Early electric locomotives reached 100 km/h or a maximum of 110.
Only the Re 4/4 I (1945) brought that up to 125 and the Re 4/4 II (1964)
to 140.

Electric locomotives accelerate faster than steam engines. Loss of time
to reach 110 km/h again  with an electric locomotive is not that much as
a to reach again 160 with a steam engine.

The practice only helps in one direction and only as destination. E.g. a
coach dropped in Aarau from a Zürich - Olten train only helps passengers
Zürich - Aarau. It doesn't help for
- Aarau - Olten
- Aarau - Zürich
- Olten - Aarau (however, this could be dropped from Olten - Zürich).