Zürich - Basel and Zürich Bern before the Heitersberg tunnel

Andrew Moglestue

I was recently musing on how the Swiss railway system was before the Heitersberg tunnel was completed.

I guess everything between Zürich and Basel / Bern and further west would have had to come through Wettingen. That is quite difficult to imagine nowadays.

Did many trains use the Nationalbahn, or did they mostly come through Baden?

I sometimes catch the S12 in Wettingen and have observed that one major weakness of the track layout is that trains coming from Baden and going onto tracks 1,2 and 3 need to cross the main line and this sometimes leads to delays.

I wonder if back in the day when there were many more freights needing to be looped, that this would have been a bigger problem.