Re: Gotthardbahn

George Raymond

The great reduction of traffic on the Gotthard mountain route elicits the following questions:

Will SBB be tempted to reduce it to single track? I hope not! (In a very different country like the US this can happen quickly.)

In case of a major incident (flood, rockslide), how fast will the line be restored, if at all?

Is the line still considered a viable alternative in case of a major problem in the base tunnel?

Is there a federal law requiring SBB to maintain the line in its current state? If I recall correctly, the SBB resisted efforts to make the Gotthard a UNESCO World Heritage Site to retain flexibility.

George

http://www.avg.com