Re: Gais - Altstätten Stadt (was Re: Less travelled narrow gauge trains)

John Lovda

I was planning on taking this route. There was a great YouTube video going downhill (southwest direction) in the rack section. You have now thrown a little wrench into the mix. I did not know the SBB station and Appenzeller Bahn station are not in the same place. How far is the distance? Is it hilly, flat? Is there a local bus? Would I be better off taking a dead end ride to Altstätten from the west and then head back? Are there any other separated stations in this region?

Thanks