Re: Language question II


I can't beleive we are back again to the multiple unit question which
we debated some months ago.

Like many things railway-wise, there will never be a single correct
answer to some problems with nomenclature.

The problem with UK railway English is that `Multiple Unit` means two
different things.

With reference to this discussion, In the case of diesel unit trains
that replaced locomotives and coaches (first in the 1950s, the second
wave in the 1980s) in Britain `multiple' refers mainly to the fact
that there are multiple vehicles semi-permanently coupled in a rake,
powered or not.

The other (irrelevant to this discussion) is MU as a control method
ie two locomotives can run with only one driver in the lead

I disagree that there is no English translation for Triebwagen.
Several British rail `multiple unit' type vehicles could perfectly
acceptably have been translated as Triebwagen, namely the 1950s
single unit railcars (55000 series), or the class 153 single cars
created in the 1990s from two-car units. There were also the GWR
diesel railcars, and the Southern region 3rd rail 68000 series motor
luggage vans used on the boat trains. These certainly ran by
themselves on occasion, just like an Rbe4/4 can occasionally run as a
single unit.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.