Independent Railways Motive Power

Iain Dodd

Now this is probably a stupid question but that has never prevented me asking
such questions in the past.

I am basically looking at the standard gauge operators that have acquired
brand new motive power from approximately the mid 1990s.

Are the class designations unique to the type of motive power? In other words
can I assume that the class 456 of the RM are identical mechanically and
electrically speaking with the class 456 of the SOB and the SZU?

I realise that when the computer numbering system was set up and extended to
the independent railway companies it was necessary to include a lot of
different motive power types under one class number because of the lack of
standardisation in the past.

Iain Dodd

Adrian Senn

Hi

Are the class designations unique to the type of motive power? In
other words
can I assume that the class 456 of the RM are identical mechanically and
electrically speaking with the class 456 of the SOB and the SZU?
Yes. All these are the KTU ("Konzessionierte Transport Unternehmungen")
vehicles. They where developed especialy for the private train operators.
With some differences they are the same type as the Re 450. Someone
could probably correct me.

I realise that when the computer numbering system was set up and
extended to
the independent railway companies it was necessary to include a lot of
different motive power types under one class number because of
the lack of
standardisation in the past.
The type 456 was before the Re 4/4 without subnumber.

Here are the tecnical date. All of these are from a booklet from
transpress. The author is Karlheinz Hartung and the booklet is
named "Kleine Typenkunde Schweizer Triebfahrzeuge"

Owner: BT
Serie: Re 4/4
Number: 91-96
Year: 1987
Lenght: 16600
t: 69
km/h: 130
KW: 3200
Prod.: SLM/BBC

Owner: SZU
Serie: Re 4/4 / Re 456
Number: 46+47 / 546+547
Year: 1987
Lenght: 16600
t: 69
km/h: 130
KW: 3200
Prod.: SLM/BBC

Owner: SZU
Serie: Re 456
Number: 542-545
Year: 1993
Lenght: 16600
t: 69
km/h: 130
KW: 3200
Prod.: SLM/ABB

Owner: EBT/VHB (now RM)
Serie: Re 456
Number: 142+143
Year: 1993
Lenght: 16600
t: 69
km/h: 130
KW: 3200
Prod.: SLM/ABB

I hope i could give enough information. Im not so good in translation.

Regards Adrian Senn

--
|p mbox: adrian@senn.ch _ |
|g mbox: adrian.senn@usz.ch ASCII ribbon campaign ( )|

Guerbetaler

IainDodd@aol.com <IainDodd@aol.com> schrieb:
Now this is probably a stupid question but that has never prevented
me asking such questions in the past.
There are no stupid questions but there may be stupid answers
... used to say our teacher ...

I am basically looking at the standard gauge operators that have
acquired brand new motive power from approximately the mid 1990s.

Are the class designations unique to the type of motive power?
NO,
examples:

identical NPZ motor coaches were delivered to
BLS RBDe 566 721 - 566 742
TPF RABDe 537 181 - 537 182
TRN RBDe 567 316 - 567 317
RM RBDe 566 230 - 566 242

A similar model can be found here:
SOB RBDe 566 071-076

An electrically identical but mechanically different type is
TPF RABDe 537 171 - 173
TRN RBDe 567 315

And then you will find the SBB-type NPZ:
SBB RBDe 560 000 - 560 083
SBB RBDe 560 100 - 560 135
SBB RBDe 562 000 - 562 005 (also for 25 kV 50 Hz)
Thurbo RBDe 566 631 - 566 634
SOB RBDe 566 077 - 566 080
TRAVYS RBDe 568 384 - 385

Finally you will find an earlier ("pre-NPZ") design
RM RBDe 566 220 - 566 227

If we take the last vehicle:
56 = RBDe without distinction of type
.. 62 = RM
.... 27 = vhehicle number

In other words
can I assume that the class 456 of the RM are identical
mechanically and
electrically speaking with the class 456 of the SOB and the SZU?
in this case: yes ... but no.... there were two series and they
are not absolutely identical. Then the MU-system differs between
these companies.

I realise that when the computer numbering system was set up and
extended to the independent railway companies it was necessary
to include a lot of different motive power types under one class
number because of the lack of standardisation in the past.
This is not the real problem. But they wanted to bring a code
for ownership into the system and thus only left two digits for the type.
Then, the definition of "type" wasn't very intelligent as they took
the letter-designation of the vehicle, e.g. RBDe to classify.

Taking a three-digit class number, it would have been easy to
distinguish what is different and to show what is identical.

Since the 1960s the variety was strongly reduced.

BTW, RM Re 436 and SBB Re 430 *are* identical

HTH

Markus, G�rbetal

Iain Dodd

In a message dated 31/01/03 23:28:17 GMT Standard Time, guerbetaler@yahoo.fr
writes:

<snip>

BTW, RM Re 436 and SBB Re 430 *are* identical

I seam to remember reading somewhere (I cannot remember where) that the SBB
were going to take over the RM Re 436 and incorporate them after any
necessary modifications into class Re 430.

This has obviously not been done. Am I right in my memory and if so why did
it not happen?

Iain Dodd

Guerbetaler

IainDodd@aol.com <IainDodd@aol.com> schrieb:
BTW, RM Re 436 and SBB Re 430 *are* identical
I seam to remember reading somewhere (I cannot
remember where) that the SBB were going to take
over the RM Re 436 and incorporate them after any
necessary modifications into class Re 430.
Not exactly. The plan was to use the RM Re 436 like
SBB Re 430 on a leasing basis. And that has been done
for quite some time. There were always two or three
Re 436 on the Gotthard. When Luino line was interrupted
last year, one of the locomotives to be evacuated from
Luino was an Re 436.

This has obviously not been done. Am I right in my
memory and if so why did it not happen?
It did happen as far as planned.

Markus, G�rbetal