Travelling from Australia

Chris Walters <eneme@...>

Hello all,

Just to introduce myself, my name is Chris Walters and I live in Australia. I am new to this group and my partner and I have just booked a holiday in Europe travelling in October this year which includes a week in Switzerland. I am very much looking forward to this part of the trip, and will basing myself in Interlaken and then Brig. I have a few questions (see below) that I was hoping some might be able to assist with (and undoubtedly I will have a few more before too long). In return, if anyone would like to email me with questions regarding the rail scene here in Australia, I'd be more than happy to do my best to answer.

Anyway, to the questions...

1) Is there any etiquette or protocol to photographing trains in and around railway stations or from bridges etc that I should be aware of?

2) I am considering a few hours of train photography to the east of Brig on the MGB (possibly at Fiesch) and was wondering if there would be any freight traffic on this line in addition to the passenger services; and if so what time of day would be best to be in the area to see these?

3) On the BOB, WAB, JB networks running south from Interlaken, do many services still operate with the older box-cab electric locomotives, or are they all now EMU train sets? If the older locomotives still run, when is the best time to see them? I understand the SPB still uses this type on their services out of Wilderswil.

4) I am very keen to see - if possible - an ex BVZ krokodil in operation on a nostalgia trip. Are any likely to be operating in mid October?

5) How busy is the Spiez-Brig section of BLS for freight trains, and is there any part of the day that would be most ideal to be on location for these? I am thinking of spending a few hours at Goppenstein and/or Kandersteg and am wondering what time of day might be best for frequency of train operation.

6) Can I expect locations such as Zermatt, Andermatt, Kleine Scheidegg and Fiesch (for example) to see snow coverage in October or is this a bit too early in the year?

To any who can help, much thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Max Wyss

Just to introduce myself, my name is Chris Walters and I live in
Australia. I am new to this group and my partner and I have just booked a
holiday in Europe travelling in October this year which includes a week in
Switzerland.
Welcome to the group, Chris. It most likely is going to be fun...

1) Is there any etiquette or protocol to photographing trains in and
around railway stations or from bridges etc that I should be aware of?
Well, don't interfere with the operation... A Chris in a box might be a bit messy, and it is not very likely that the airline would like such a transport...

3) On the BOB, WAB, JB networks running south from Interlaken, do many
services still operate with the older box-cab electric locomotives, or are
they all now EMU train sets? If the older locomotives still run, when is
the best time to see them? I understand the SPB still uses this type on
their services out of Wilderswil.
SPB is the only operator of these boxcabs; there might be some service operation on the WAB, but not very likely. Regular operation on both, BOB, WAB and JB is all push-pull sets.

5) How busy is the Spiez-Brig section of BLS for freight trains, and is
there any part of the day that would be most ideal to be on location for
these? I am thinking of spending a few hours at Goppenstein and/or
Kandersteg and am wondering what time of day might be best for frequency of
train operation.
You might prefer some places around Frutigen for your photography. I am sure other members of the group have more information about operation, but there is quite a bit going on...

6) Can I expect locations such as Zermatt, Andermatt, Kleine Scheidegg and
Fiesch (for example) to see snow coverage in October or is this a bit too
early in the year?
That depends a lot on the weather. Not really predictable.

Have fun and keep the questions rolling...

Max Wyss.

Pete Arnold <arnold@...>

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Max Wyss <max@p...> wrote:
Just to introduce myself, my name is Chris Walters and I live in
Australia. I am new to this group and my partner and I have just
booked a
holiday in Europe travelling in October this year which includes
week in
Switzerland.
Welcome to the group, Chris. It most likely is going to be fun...

snip

3) On the BOB, WAB, JB networks running south from Interlaken,
do many
services still operate with the older box-cab electric
locomotives, or
are
they all now EMU train sets? If the older locomotives still run,
when
is
the best time to see them? I understand the SPB still uses this
type
on
their services out of Wilderswil.
SPB is the only operator of these boxcabs; there might be some
service
operation on the WAB, but not very likely. Regular operation on
both,
BOB, WAB and JB is all push-pull sets.

snip

Chris,

Bear in mind though that SPB only operates until 16th October.

Good hunting!

Pete Arnold (UK)

Guerbetaler

Chris Walters wrote:
1) Is there any etiquette or protocol to photographing trains in and
around railway stations or from bridges etc that I should be aware
of?
No problem as long as you don't leave the area open to the
public. If you would like to go beyond, ask!

2) I am considering a few hours of train photography to the east of
Brig on the MGB (possibly at Fiesch) and was wondering if there
would be any freight traffic on this line in addition to the
passenger services; and if so what time of day would be best to be
in the area to see these?
There is no regular freight traffic between Brig and Sedrun.

3) On the BOB, WAB, JB networks running south from Interlaken, do
many services still operate with the older box-cab electric
locomotives, or are they all now EMU train sets? If the older
locomotives still run, when is the best time to see them? I
understand the SPB still uses this type on their services out of
Wilderswil.
SPB got the first push-pull set some weeks ago.

On BOB, WAB and JB hte old locomotives only work specials.
You might want to ask in September if anything is known then.

4) I am very keen to see - if possible - an ex BVZ krokodil in
operation on a nostalgia trip. Are any likely to be operating in
mid October?
Public nostalgia trips are announced on www.mgbahn.ch
but at the moment you will only find a few steam trips in
July and August. Informations about private trips are difficult
to get. But you might want to ask again in September ...

5) How busy is the Spiez-Brig section of BLS for freight trains,
and is there any part of the day that would be most ideal to be on
location for these? I am thinking of spending a few hours at
Goppenstein and/or Kandersteg and am wondering what time of day
might be best for frequency of train operation.
Best time is the night ... not very interesting for photos ...

In general, number and length of trains is highest on Tuesdays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays.

6) Can I expect locations such as Zermatt, Andermatt, Kleine
Scheidegg and Fiesch (for example) to see snow coverage
in October or is this a bit too early in the year?
It often happens that there are a few cold days in October,
or even end of September, where snow covers the landscape
above about 1000 m. But the next day all snow will have gone
again.

Markus, G�rbetal

T�l�chargez cette version sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

Fionnbarr Kennedy

Just to introduce myself, my name is Chris Walters and I live in
Australia.
Welcome to the group! I'm a "Paddy" so the interest is v varied - and great
fun!

1) Is there any etiquette or protocol to photographing trains in and
around railway stations or from bridges etc that I should be aware of?
Markus has answered this very well (as always!). From personal experience I
have found if you display camera and genuine enthusiasm Swiss rail staff are
usually delighted to see someone with an interest - an orange safety jacket
can be an asset.

I am very much looking forward to this part of the trip, and
will basing myself in Interlaken

If of interest I have a great little place I stay in in Murren: basic but
wonderful: email me off list.

In return, if anyone
would like to email me with questions regarding the rail scene here in
Australia, I'd be more than happy to do my best to answer
I have a friend who is very interested in Australian rail (especially your
huge freights): if you have any good photo websites you know of could you
please email me details off list!

Fionnbarr Kennedy

www.fionnbarr.com

Rob

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Markus" <guerbetaler@y...> wrote:
3) On the BOB, WAB, JB networks running south from Interlaken, do
many services still operate with the older box-cab electric
locomotives, or are they all now EMU train sets? If the older
locomotives still run, when is the best time to see them? I
understand the SPB still uses this type on their services out of
Wilderswil.
SPB got the first push-pull set some weeks ago.
Markus, Gürbetal
I don't recall any previous alert to this happening - presumably with
transferred older WAB railcar sets? Re-liveried for SPB? Anyone got
any pics yet, please?

Robert
London

Guerbetaler

robvulpes wrote:
SPB got the first push-pull set some weeks ago.
Markus, G�rbetal
I don't recall any previous alert to this happening - presumably with
transferred older WAB railcar sets? Re-liveried for SPB? Anyone got
any pics yet, please?
I have no reports about the set already being used but it was
brought to Wilderswil (on the road) on 28 and 29 April 2005.
Pictures of 7 May 2005 show BDhe 105 still without pantograph.
Driving trailer is Bt 225. Lettering still WAB.
http://bahnch.railimages.ch/fotos/SPB