From: John Fleck
Date: 28/07/2007 8:43:17 PM
To: SwissRail@...
Subject: [SwissRail] MGB Line into Brig

Dear All:

Does anymore know when the new MGB access line into Brig from the east
bypassing Naters will be open?

I saw the new bridge across the Rhone under construction last September.

Many thanks!

John Fleck

David Adams <theadamsfamily5@...>

John Fleck wrote:

Does anyone know when the new MGB access line into Brig from
the east bypassing Naters will open?
As the proposed draft timetable for 2008 between Andermatt & Visp via Brig excludes Naters it would appear that the start of that timetable on 9th Dec 2007 is the likely date. See www.fahrplanetwurf.ch (click on Fahrplansuche on the left, then Suche nach Felder, enter 142 in the Feldnummer and then click Suche nach Feld)

David Adams

D_,___
David

gordonwis

--- In SwissRail@..., "David Adams" <theadamsfamily5@...>
wrote:
As the proposed draft timetable for 2008 between Andermatt & Visp
via Brig excludes Naters it would appear that the start of that
timetable on 9th Dec 2007 is the likely date.

That seems to be the obvious answer. In April 2007, works were quite
well advanced, so knowing the Swiss it will be ready for December.

BTW the new MGB timetable also reminds us that the demise of Brig as
an interchange after over 100 years is creeping ever closer.

Nabil <airliners_2000@...>

--- gordonwis <gordonwis@...> wrote:

BTW the new MGB timetable also reminds us that the demise of Brig as
an interchange after over 100 years is creeping ever closer.
Is this because of the opening of L�tschberg Base Tunnel which gives nearby Visp a greater
importance than it had in the past?

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/

Max Wyss

BTW the new MGB timetable also reminds us that the demise of Brig as
an interchange after over 100 years is creeping ever closer.
Is this because of the opening of Lötschberg Base Tunnel which
gives nearby Visp a greater importance than it had in the past?
Maybe partly. But the main reason is that after the merger of BVZ and
FO, and more extended through-running operation, the "interchange" at
Brig, with the change of direction, is becoming more and more an
annoyance. With the new line, Brig will no longer be a stub end in
the MGB network anymore. And this will give the Glacier Expresses
either 10 minutes shorter travel time, or about the same amount of
slack in the timetable.

Max.

tony cooper

Will MGB trains still pass through Brig?

(Does the Glacier Express(es) need any slack in its timetable?!

Tony

[full quote at the end removed !!]

JOHN FLECK <johntgv@...>

MGB trains will definitely continue to run through Brig, but they will no longer need to reverse there once the new access line and bridge are open.

John Fleck

George Raymond <george@...>

MGB trains will definitely continue to run through Brig, but they will no
longer need to reverse there once the new access line and bridge are open.

John Fleck
Will the current line through Naters be torn up? Will the current rail
bridge over the Rhône be removed? Where will the new line cross the Rhône?

Can anyone suggest a link to a map and description of the project?

Thanks,
George

JOHN FLECK <johntgv@...>

The new line crosses the Rhone just east of Brig. If you get a satellite map of Brig, you will see the bridge.

John Fleck

George Raymond <george@...>

The new line crosses the Rhone just east of Brig. If you get a satellite
map of Brig, you will see the bridge.

John Fleck
John, I can't see the new bridge in the satellite map in Google Maps. Their
photo must be too old. Can you suggest another source?

Thanks,
George

JOHN FLECK <johntgv@...>

I'm in the Maritimes, but when I return to Toronto on Sunday, I'll post the link with the bridge.

John Fleck

gordonwis

Summary of questions asked and my answers:

The new line crosses the Rhone just east of Brig. If you get .
John, I can't see the new bridge in the satellite map in Google Maps.
Their photo must be too old. Can you suggest another source?

** On Google maps call up Brig. The new MGB line follows the back
streets from the eastern stub of the current MGB Brig station, under
the Simplon tunnel entrance, then the new formation is cut into the
hillside between the Brig Bypass, yellow on map, Road number 19 and
the river cliff. It then crosses the Rhone alongside the road 19
bridge, which is also quite recent

Will the current line through Naters be torn up?

** Yes, the Swiss are not nostalgic

Will the current rail bridge over the Rhône be removed?

** I suspect it might be retained for pedestrians (the area is quite
busy with people and traffic)

Where will the new line cross the Rhône?

** see above

Can anyone suggest a link to a map and description of the project?

** bizarrely, I cannot find a web site covering the project. The MGB
web site has absolutely nothing about it! I can't find anything
easily on Brig municipal web sites either

George Raymond <george@...>

** On Google maps call up Brig. The new MGB line follows the back
streets from the eastern stub of the current MGB Brig station, under
the Simplon tunnel entrance, then the new formation is cut into the
hillside between the Brig Bypass, yellow on map, Road number 19 and
the river cliff. It then crosses the Rhone alongside the road 19
bridge, which is also quite recent

Will the current line through Naters be torn up?

** Yes, the Swiss are not nostalgic
Thanks to those who have provided information.

For those who want to generate their own nostalgia, this looks like a good
chance to take some "before" pictures of trains going through Naters that
can later be paired with "after" pictures from the same viewpoints when the
tracks have vanished.

I had the rare opportunity to do the opposite in the western suburbs of
Lausanne in 1987, before they started building the TSOL light rail line.

George

Malcolm Hardy-Randall

--- In SwissRail@..., "George Raymond" <george@...> wrote:

** On Google maps call up Brig. The new MGB line follows the back
streets from the eastern stub of the current MGB Brig station, under
the Simplon tunnel entrance, then the new formation is cut into the
hillside between the Brig Bypass, yellow on map, Road number 19 and
the river cliff. It then crosses the Rhone alongside the road 19
bridge, which is also quite recent
George
The only reference to this subject that I could find is:-

Brig station Eastern route.
<http://www.uvek.admin.ch/dokumentation/00474/00492/index.html?lang=de&m\;
sg-id=877>

Please note that it is in German. Neither pictures nor diagrams.

Malcolm

Guerbetaler <guerbetaler@...>

gordonwis wrote:
** bizarrely, I cannot find a web site covering the project. The MGB
web site has absolutely nothing about it! I can't find anything
easily on Brig municipal web sites either
You can find quite a lot of informations in the official publications
of the cantons, at the time when the credits were spoken.
Unfortunately Uri didn't include the map in the electronic version.
And Valais/Wallis asks a fee to read the official publication ...
:-(

Uri, 1st credit
http://www.ur.ch/dateimanager/botschaften/botschaft_file_327_9860.pdf

Uri, 2nd credit
http://www.ur.ch/dateimanager/botschaften/botschaft_file_446_8630.pdf

Markus, G�rbetal

pascal_joris

Some photos of the works can be found here:
http://www.srp.ch/de/nachrichten/index_html

On one of them, you can see the new Rotten bridge with the old Massa
bridge in the background - compare with google maps!
The project resembles a lot one of my preferred variants when I did a
feasability study during my studies. Only, I went over the SBB line,
while now they're going under it. At the time, I was not allowed to
destroy buildings...

gordonwis

--- In SwissRail@..., "George Raymond" <george@...> wrote:
For those who want to generate their own nostalgia, this looks like
a good
chance to take some "before" pictures of trains going through
Naters that
can later be paired with "after" pictures from the same viewpoints
when the
tracks have vanished.
I thought about doing that at Easter when I was in and around Brig,
but decided that there wern't that many viewpoints as the line just
runs through houses. The bridge is the best view probably.

I had the rare opportunity to do the opposite in the western
suburbs of
Lausanne in 1987, before they started building the TSOL light rail
line.
That sort of thing is not all that rare is it? I've done lots of that
with the new tram routes in Geneva, Britain and France.

Much rarer is the sequence of shots I shall have when the French La
Cluse - Bellegarde 'Ligne des Carpates' is rebuilt for TGVs to
Geneva. I shall have 'before' - 'after' - 'before' - 'after' photos,
ie trains in service up to 1990, line closed and moribund, prepration
for rebuilt line (now happening), and reopened with TGVs in
service.

Illya Vaes

2007/8/3, gordonwis <gordonwis@...>:
--- In SwissRail@..., "George Raymond" <george@...> wrote:
For those who want to generate their own nostalgia, this looks like a good
chance to take some "before" pictures of trains going through Naters that
can later be paired with "after" pictures from the same viewpoints when the
tracks have vanished.
I thought about doing that at Easter when I was in and around Brig,
but decided that there wern't that many viewpoints as the line just
runs through houses. The bridge is the best view probably.
There's this one too:
<http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/illyavaes/Spoorwegen2007/?action=view¤t=17764.jpg>