MGB Brig - Google Maps

John Fleck <johntgv@...>

I believe this link shows what appears to be the new MGB bridge at Brig.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brig+switzerland&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.925653,58.183594&ie=UTF8&ll=46.327669,8.0112&spn=0.007023,0.014205&t=k&z=16&om=1

Stefan Dringenberg

John Fleck schrieb am 06.08.2007 02:41:

I believe this link shows what appears to be the new MGB bridge at Brig.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brig+switzerland&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.925653,58.183594&ie=UTF8&ll=46.327669,8.0112&spn=0.007023,0.014205&t=k&z=16&om=1
No, it doesn't. The map shows the new street bridge. The MGB bridge is
built a few meters in direction north east, between the Massa channel
and the old bridge. Try this link to get an idea of the location:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brig+switzerland&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.925653,58.183594&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=46.330132,8.013325&spn=0.002167,0.002945&z=18

HTH
Stefan

gordonwis

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "John Fleck" <johntgv@...> wrote:

I believe this link shows what appears to be the new MGB bridge at
Brig.
Sorry, no that is an old picture of the new 'bypass' road. I repeat
therefore my previous description of the alignment:

** On Google maps call up Brig. The new MGB line follows the back
streets from the eastern stub of the current MGB Brig station, under
the Simplon tunnel entrance, then the new formation is cut into the
hillside between the Brig Bypass, yellow on map, Road number 19 and
the river cliff. It then crosses the Rhone alongside the road 19
bridge, which is also quite recent

pascal_joris

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Dringenberg <groups@...> wrote:
The MGB bridge is built a few meters in direction north east, between
the Massa channel and the old bridge.
No, it isnt. It is in fact built on the other side of the Massa
channel, as can be seen in this photo (found in the link I already
posted):
http://www.srp.ch/de/nachrichten/ostausfahrtbrig3

The old Massa bridge will no longer be used - at least not by trains...

Stefan Dringenberg

Pascal schrieb am 06 Aug 2007:

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Dringenberg <groups@...> wrote:
The MGB bridge is built a few meters in direction north east, between
the Massa channel and the old bridge.
No, it isnt. It is in fact built on the other side of the Massa
channel, as can be seen in this photo (found in the link I already
posted):
http://www.srp.ch/de/nachrichten/ostausfahrtbrig3

The old Massa bridge will no longer be used - at least not by trains...
My fault: Replace Massa with Rotten as it can be seen on the mentioned
picture.

Bye
Stefan

Richard Bowen

To enhance that excellent verbal description by Gordon and others and photograph note that all the satellite views -be they Google or map.search.ch/naters/- show the contractors yard on the east bank from where I believe the bridge is being constructed.

Richard A. Bowen

Guerbetaler <guerbetaler@...>

gordonwis wrote:
Sorry, no that is an old picture of the new 'bypass' road. I repeat
therefore my previous description of the alignment:
To follow the description in pictures, at least partly, go to
http://bahnch.railimages.ch/fotos/Ostausfahrt
(pictures taken in the direction of a future train leaving Brig)
http://bahnch.railimages.ch/fotos/Osteinfahrt
(pictures taken in the direction of a future train entering Brig)

A few pics are from last year. Their name is 2006.... instead
of 2007...

Markus, G�rbetal

Richard Bowen

Thankyou Markus - thats a good set though one might have wished for a better impression of the crossing of the main-line by the tunnel mouths (now I know what the empty space there about four years ago was for).

When walking the route in June I could not help thinking that there was a lot of work going on in Brig itself that - should the route ever go through platform 1 in the main station- be redundant.

But is that plan to go ahead and when (this century?) or have I got the story wrong?

Richard A. Bowen

Guerbetaler <guerbetaler@...>

Richard Bowen wrote:
When walking the route in June I could not help thinking that there
was a lot of work going on in Brig itself that - should the route
ever go through platform 1 in the main station- be redundant.

But is that plan to go ahead and when (this century?) or have I got
the story wrong?
The city of Brig hopes that this project will be realized. But
comparing costs and benefits for the MGB, I doubt about ...
And my doubts are not so unimportant, if you know, what I
mean. ;-)

Markus, G�rbetal