EWS-EURO CARGO 66 IN MUTTENZ YARD


Rob Kimmins <robkimmins@...>
 

I have observed and photgraphed Euro Cargo 66 190 in Muttenz Yard, Basle, on Sunday 30th September.

I was unaware that they worked into Switzerland.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Regards
Bob Kimmins






_________________________________________________________________
The next generation of MSN Hotmail has arrived - Windows Live Hotmail
http://www.newhotmail.co.uk


Guerbetaler <guerbetaler@...>
 

Rob Kimmins wrote:
I have observed and photgraphed Euro Cargo 66 190 in Muttenz Yard,
Basle, on Sunday 30th September.

I was unaware that they worked into Switzerland.
Muttenz can be reached with German approval plus a simple
extension for Swiss rail lines with German Indusi. The 66
can't go any further.

Markus, G�rbetal


John Beaulieu <beaulieu@...>
 

Guerbetaler wrote:
Rob Kimmins wrote:
I have observed and photgraphed Euro Cargo 66 190 in Muttenz Yard,
Basle, on Sunday 30th September.

I was unaware that they worked into Switzerland.
Muttenz can be reached with German approval plus a simple
extension for Swiss rail lines with German Indusi. The 66
can't go any further.
Markus, G�rbetal
The Euro Cargo Rail Class 66s have French approval, does similar apply, coming in from France? I don't think any are equipped for Germany yet.

John Beaulieu


gordonwis
 

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, John Beaulieu <beaulieu@...> wrote:
The Euro Cargo Rail Class 66s have French approval, does similar
apply, coming in from France? I don't think any are equipped for
Germany yet.
John is right!

This 66 comes from France.

It is a twice-weekly (usually) train carrying Fiat Scudo vans south
towards Italy (!...), as they are built by a company called Sevel in
Bouchain (Nord), France - near Valenciennes.

The train is a very good example of how open access freight is better
than the old protracted ways, as it does Bouchain (dep 07.30 ish) -
Basel RB (arr 18.40 ish) in one day, departing back north 19.00 ish
the next evening.

Sadly for me, it is a great example of how ECR has so easily managed
to take over French freight as Fret SNCF is so useless. It travels
over the traditional 'Britain - Switzerland' Tergnier - Chaumont -
Belfort line which was deprived of freight workings some years ago in
Fret SNCFs vain attempt to improve efficiency.
I have travelled to Europe (including watching freight on the
aforementioned line since age 1 as it parallels the route between my
family homes in UK and Geneva) for 40 years to see European trains,
not the same type of loco that no hauls virtually all freight in
Britain.


Andrew Moglestue
 

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "gordonwis" <gordonwis@...> wrote:


John is right!

This 66 comes from France.

It is a twice-weekly (usually) train carrying Fiat Scudo vans south
towards Italy (!...), as they are built by a company called Sevel in
Bouchain (Nord), France - near Valenciennes.
This may be, but it's not the only one. There are quite definitely 66's
that work to Muttenz via Germany as I have observed them at Istein and
passing through Freiburg on many occasions, and also seen the same
machines at Muttenz. I'm not sure who the operator or owner is but the
locos are silver-grey with blue and white lining. As I've seen them
fairly often the working(s) in question cannot be very rare.

Andrew


gordonwis
 

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Moglestue" <amogles@...>
wrote:
This may be, but it's not the only one. There are quite definitely
66's
that work to Muttenz via Germany > locos are silver-grey with blue
and white lining. As I've seen them > fairly often the working(s) in
question cannot be very rare.
Your are confusing the discussion here. You are not actually wrong, non-
ECR 66s have been working to Basel since 2001, and you are referring to
the HGK 66s that come from Koln.

However, in this discussion we were specifically talking about ECR 66s
(hence the title of the thread) not any other type of 66


Andrew Moglestue
 

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "gordonwis" <gordonwis@...> wrote:


Your are confusing the discussion here. You are not actually wrong,
non-
ECR 66s have been working to Basel since 2001, and you are
referring to
the HGK 66s that come from Koln.

However, in this discussion we were specifically talking about ECR
66s
(hence the title of the thread) not any other type of 66
Are the ECR machines ex-EWS 66s?
I understand that several ex-EWS machines are now at work on the
continent. Does that mean EWS now has surplus 66s? And this in
addition to all the 56s and 58s at work building high speed lines in
France and Spain. Is it time to start worrying that EWS's core
business is going belly-up?

This may be increasingly off-topic, but do you think the EWS affinity
to the class 66 will end now that Railion are in charge? Will we be
seeing a transition to European motive power and maybe a shift back
to electrics on the services where it makes sense?

Not that I dislike the 66, mind you, but I'm a bit sceptical when it
comes to judging whether it really is such a superior machine as EWS
has long claimed - compared to modern European locomotives such as
produced by Vossloh.

Andrew


Max Wyss
 

This may be increasingly off-topic, but do you think the EWS affinity
to the class 66 will end now that Railion are in charge? Will we be
seeing a transition to European motive power and maybe a shift back
to electrics on the services where it makes sense?
It will depend a lot on the availability of units for such services. However, note that -- if the type is approved -- you have one component less to bother with a diesel engine when you operate international freight (the electrical equipment). It may also be that you have some advantages for real "door-to-door" service with a diesel unit.

It might also be interesting to overlay the v/t diagrams for the class 66 and let's say a TRAXX 140. I don't have either at hand, but I have a suspicion that the Class 66 has a hither tractive force at the typical operation speed range.


Not that I dislike the 66, mind you, but I'm a bit sceptical when it
comes to judging whether it really is such a superior machine as EWS
has long claimed - compared to modern European locomotives such as
produced by Vossloh.
At the time when EWS procured the units, they were considered the best deal available (looking at the price-performance ratio). And they were available fast... delivery times were (are) shorter than what the competitors could offer.

You may also consider the reliability record ... which is more critical for mainline operation than for construction site operation.

Max.


Fionnbarr Kennedy
 

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "gordonwis" <gordonwis@...> wrote:


However, in this discussion we were specifically talking about ECR
66s
(hence the title of the thread) not any other type of 66

Excuse the but in but which one is this one so?

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Germany/GermanyMisc/DSC_0012.jp
g.html

Fionnbarr

www.fionnbarr.com


Damian Clement <dmclement@...>
 

That would be an ERS
http://www.ersrail.com/
one.

See also the link below for all things 66.
http://class66.railfan.nl/

Thanks

Damian


Tim Hall <kalyr@...>
 

Andrew Moglestue wrote:

Are the ECR machines ex-EWS 66s?
I understand that several ex-EWS machines are now at work on the continent. Does that mean EWS now has surplus 66s? And this in addition to all the 56s and 58s at work building high speed lines in France and Spain. Is it time to start worrying that EWS's core business is going belly-up?
My impression is that EWS ordered their large number of 66s (250) in anticipation of a growth in traffic that didn't really happen. (UK Freight volumes have gone up, but rival operators have been eroding EWS's market share) They ended up with more locomotives than they really needed, which resulted in the wholesale withdrawal of existing motive power dating from the 1980s such as the 56s and 58s, and the storage of a lot of the 1990s-built class 60s.

The ECR 66s are being taken out of the UK fleet, and class 60s are being taken out of store to take up their UK duties.


John Beaulieu <beaulieu@...>
 

Fionnbarr Kennedy wrote:
--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "gordonwis" <gordonwis@...> wrote:

However, in this discussion we were specifically talking about ECR
66s
(hence the title of the thread) not any other type of 66
Excuse the but in but which one is this one so? http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Germany/GermanyMisc/DSC_0012.jp
g.html
That Class 66 is leased long-term to European Rail Shuttle a subsidiary of Maersk Shipping. Their website is here:
http://www.ersrail.nl/

SBB Cargo moves their Italy bound traffic from Basel to Milan and Verona.

John Beaulieu


Theo van Riet <tvanriet@...>
 

At 16:21 +0000 04-10-2007, Fionnbarr Kennedy wrote:
--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "gordonwis" <gordonwis@...> wrote:


However, in this discussion we were specifically talking about ECR
66s
(hence the title of the thread) not any other type of 66

Excuse the but in but which one is this one so?

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Germany/GermanyMisc/DSC_0012.jpg.html
This is a dutch ERS loc , mostly on trains from or to Rotterdam...

Theo


Theo van Riet <tvanriet@...>
 

At 18:23 +0100 04-10-2007, Tim Hall wrote:
Andrew Moglestue wrote:

Are the ECR machines ex-EWS 66s?
I understand that several ex-EWS machines are now at work on the
continent. Does that mean EWS now has surplus 66s? And this in
addition to all the 56s and 58s at work building high speed lines in
France and Spain. Is it time to start worrying that EWS's core
business is going belly-up?
My impression is that EWS ordered their large number of 66s (250) in
anticipation of a growth in traffic that didn't really happen. (UK
Freight volumes have gone up, but rival operators have been eroding
EWS's market share) They ended up with more locomotives than they really
needed, which resulted in the wholesale withdrawal of existing motive
power dating from the 1980s such as the 56s and 58s, and the storage of
a lot of the 1990s-built class 60s.

The ECR 66s are being taken out of the UK fleet, and class 60s are being
taken out of store to take up their UK duties.
As far as I know they have ordered 20 new ones specially equipped for France, Belgium, Holland.
Emission compliant motor silenced driver area etc.

They are nearly ready to be shipped to Rotterdam...

Theo