Itinerary suggestions

Fionnbarr Kennedy

Hi all

I will be making one of my annual visits to Switzerland this February.
This time I will have my partner with me and as a result would like
to take the chance to get to know a bit more of the narrow gauge
network (hopefully in snow) and avoid my usual which are standard
gauge. I know the MGB v well but am not as familiar with the RHB. I
would be looking for good photographic spots and perhaps a chance for
some snow shoe trekking (definitely straying off topic a bit here!)
All travelling will be done using rail with a Swiss Pass

So if anyone has a suggested 3 day itinerary it would be great to hear
(off list if our moderator thinks this too far from our normal subjects)

Thank you

Fionnbarr
www.fionnbarr.com

John Fleck <johntgv@...>

I would recommend staying at the Grischuna Hotel in Filisur which is right
in the hub of the RhB and within walking distance of the famous Landwasser
Viaduct. It is right at the south end of the Filisur station platform and
the Filisur Webcam is mounted right on the hotel building.

Http://www.grischuna-filisur.ch/home.HTML

http://webcam.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/

Sincerely,

John Fleck

gatehousedc <gatehouseds@...>

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Fionnbarr Kennedy" <mail@...>
wrote:
but am not as familiar with the RHB. I would be looking for good
photographic spots and perhaps a chance for some snow shoe trekking
(definitely straying off topic a bit here!. All travelling will be
done using rail with a Swiss Pass

So if anyone has a suggested 3 day itinerary

Take a look at Message 10173 from Brian D. dated February last. The
link to the associated photos is also worth a browse for location and
ideas. He based himself at the Grischuna. It certainly inspired me
to give it a go and I am booked in there in January 2009 and why not.

Now, have a look what ambled through Filisur this a.m. on logs
(whoops, I hope there won't be another debate on when logs are logs
and timber is just wood in some form or other...... Sorry Chaps)

http://webcam.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/m081205081550160

Enjoy your trip and may the light be with you, as they say.

Cheers,

Don

csipromo

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "gatehousedc" <gatehouseds@...>

wrote:
[...]

Fionnbarr,

there is much more to the Grisons than trains in February. I would
suggest that you check out locations in the Engadine, which by itself
is a lovely destination in the winter. If you stay somewhere between
Zuoz and Samedan, you can enjoy cross country or downhill skiing,
snowshoeing and will be within minutes of the RhB routes to Vereina,
the Albula, Bernina and to St Moritz itself.
One photo location that I remember from my childhood was from the
road between St Moritz and Pontresina. The other one was the station
at Diavolezza.

The important thing to remember is that access to many locations in
the winter is dependent on snow and weather conditions. Basing
yourself in the Engadin will allow you to explore the greatest
variety of RhB routes. (see above).

St Moritz - Samedan - Albula - Filisur
St Moritz - Scuol - Vereina
St Moritz - Bernina (- Tirano)
The other trip that is worth the ride in the winter is the Chur-Arosa
train.

Chris Walters

Hi Don/all,

I'll be staying in Filisur myself later this month, and was floored by the
sight of the Krok shown in the webcam link below. I understand RhB has two
in operation, although I was under the impression they were 'charter' only
locomotives...?

Is there any likelihood that a Krok working in regular service through
Filisur might be something that will continue on through December into early
2009?

Many thanks for any advice :)

Regards,
Chris

Michael Enright <menright6151@...>

Don,
They definitely look like logs to me. Scandalous to describe them as anything else!

Regards,

Michael

[no TOFU on SwissRail! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFU]

Bill Bolton

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 17:21:40 -0000, Mike C wrote:

The other trip that is worth the ride in the winter is the Chur-Arosa
train.
We rode it in May a few years ago, and had bright sunshine and fine
warm weather in Chur while it was cold and snowing by the time we
reached the heights of Arosa..... which made for a fascinating trip
for us (coming from a country where only relatively tiny parts get any
snow at all, even in the depths of winter).

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia

glenn allen

I'm in Filisur from 1st Feb so I might see you there.
On Sunday 8th Feb the snow blower is running from Pontresina to Ospizio Bernina so if you are there you might want to check that out.

In 3 days, hmm.

Filisur-Davos-Klosters-Saglains-St Moritz-Filisur

Using the current timetable :

Filisur dep 0903
Davos Platz arr 0928
walk through the town to Davos Dorf
Davos Dorf dep 1105
Klosters arr 1128
Walk round the town (turn right outside the station (not straight down the hill but through to the park) turn right, then back up the hill.
Klosters dep 1234
Saglians arr 1253
dep 1256
Samedan arr 1342
lunch at the station buffet/restaurant
Samedan dep 1350
St Moritz arr 1358
walk round the lake
http://www.bergbahnenengadin.ch/static_pgs/de/livecam_bad.htm
St Moritz dep dep 1702
Filisur arr 1800

Filisur-Chur-Arosa-Chur Filisur
Filisur dep 0901
Chur arr 1003
Chur dep 1008
Arosa arr 1109 (Arosa Express)
walk round the lake (it's smaller than the one at St Moritz)
have a cup of coffee and a sticky bun
Arosa dep 1248
Langweis arr 1304
Take a photo of the viaduct
Langweis dep 1404 (up train crosses the viaduct at 1349)
Chur Stadt arr 1442
have a walk around the town, the is a model shop in one of the squares, I always have trouble finding it.
Chur dep 1658
Filisur arr 1801

Filisur-Davos-Landquart-Disentis-Reichenau-Tamins-Filisur
Filisur dep 0903
Davos Platz arr 0928
Davos Platz dep 1002
Landquart arr 1113
coffee in the supermarket and a visit to the RhB bahnladen
Landquart dep 1217
Disentis arr 1411
Disentis dep 1545 (Glacier Express leaves at 1528)
Reichenau-Tamins 1650
dep 1708
Filisur arr 1801

Just a few ideas to get you started.

gordonwis

Firstly, as a Suisse Romandiste, I'm hpoping this message will be
number 11501 «Renens»

I agree with Mike C's point about being wary of footpaths in winter.
Technically (does this include the path from Filisur to the
Landwasser?) many footpaths are legally shut during winter – some
with `no walking ` signs. On last Easter's trip to the MOB my wife
and I were a bit naughty and used a path which I think was officially
closed for the winter due to ice risk. Conversely, the previous
Easter we benefited from the winter wanderweg route from Oberwald to
Fiesch being alongside the railway all the way, whereas the normal
summer paths are not! See messages 8248 and 8251:

Filisur is a very common place for people to go (even I'm going there
but only because I found one of the few locations where you can rent
a detached chalet close to a station (my wife and I prefer the
tranquillity of a complete chalet to ourselves if possible)).

Why not try and visit a few of the narrow gauge lines that nobody
ever truly visits? I'm thinking of things like the Trogener Bahn,
Frauenfeld – Wil, Appenzeller Bahnen etc. The Appenzell mountains are
very pleasant in winter snow. An excellent centre for trips in this
area is the nice spa town of Bad Ragaz which had good services from
the station without the bustle of Chur, From Bad Ragaz you could
visit both the RhB and the abovementioned.

Alternatively, you could do the ZB (Engelberg is worth doing for the
very steep rack) and you could visit Luzern for a `famous town'
excursion. You could stay in the hills alongside the ZB at the Hotel
Lowen in Lungern.

glenn allen

The walk to the Landwasser viaduct wasn't shut during any of
my 3 winter visits. However, There was thick snow on the path
to the view point above the tunnel portal on the Filisur side.
The path to the viewpoint on the Schmitten side is very steep
in places, I would not recommend it if there is snow around,
that plus the frozen ground would make it very risky.
I would sick with the Filisur viewpoint.

gordonwis

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, glenn allen <glenn_rhb@...> wrote:

The walk to the Landwasser viaduct wasn't shut during any of
my 3 winter visits. However,
Thanks for this
Can you clarify which viewpoint is which (ie are both the 'above the
track' viewpoints likely to be dangerous or just one of them?

glenn allen

The dangerous view point is the one normally featured in magazines and on calenders where you look out from above the previous tunnel, across the viaduct to where it goes into the tunnel towards Filisur.
I have done both, but, based on the amount of snow they have currently I would probably give this one a miss, depends on how much snow has got through the trees.
The second view point which is located to the left of the tunnel which leads out onto the viaduct (the reverse of the first viewpoint) does have drifts over the first part, I had to go through stuff up to 18 inches deep, but in the trees it was nice and compact, the walk is less up/down. That is what makes the first viewpoint the worst one to try to walk to.

Fionnbarr Kennedy

Thank you all for your suggestions. Mike I am taking your suggestion
and we will be basing ourselves in the Engadine. All other suggestions
have been noted and will be acted on!

In case anyone is interested IMHO a nice Winter Pic (without snow).
(Occasionally I get one I'm happy with:)

<http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Germany/GermanLocal/EB_Lint_GD_1.jpg.html>

Not Swiss but to make it on topic that company uses FLIRTs, though not
on the line I was on.

Regards
Fionnbarr
www.fionnbarr.com