Gipfeli Express

csipromo

--- In SwissRail@..., "Guerbetaler" <guerbetaler@...>
wrote:

Neil Larry wrote:
Since the demise of the quality catering on Einsiedeln service can
anyone update me further, is it still a hauled service or now
operated by units? If it is still hauled what can be expected
these days. Neil
The coaches are EW II and maybe a single EW I A New Look.
But it is very interesting, how much shunting is done:

18044 goes down with 10 (!!) coaches A-B-B-B-A-B-B-A-B-B

4 coaches are left in Zürich Altstetten

18045 comes back with 6 coaches B-B-A-B-B-A

3 coaches are left in Einsiedeln

18050 goes down with only 3 coaches A-B-B

the 4 coaches left in Zürich Altstetten are coupled again

18051 goes up with the usual 7 coaches, now B-B-B-A-B-B-A

all 10 coaches pass the night in Einsiedeln

Elegant way to cope with the more intense traffic flow in the
morning and the maximum load pulling up the 5% grade!

Coaches are
5085 18-33 604 A EW II
5085 20-34 581 B EW II
5085 20-34 638 B EW II
5085 20-34 612 B EW II
5085 18-33 613 A EW II
5085 20-34 507 B EW II
5085 20-34 562 B EW II
5085 18-33 540 A EW I
5085 20-34 565 B EW II
5085 20-34 733 B EW II

Markus, Gürbetal
Thanks for all of the details Markus.
I did not know if the SBB EWI and IIs (other than IR and NPZ) were
still in use.

BTW, which loks are used for all the trains mentioned?

Neil Larry wrote:
Since the demise of the quality catering on Einsiedeln service can
anyone update me further, is it still a hauled service or now
operated by units? If it is still hauled what can be expected these
days. Neil
The coaches are EW II and maybe a single EW I A New Look.
But it is very interesting, how much shunting is done:

18044 goes down with 10 (!!) coaches A-B-B-B-A-B-B-A-B-B

4 coaches are left in Z�rich Altstetten

18045 comes back with 6 coaches B-B-A-B-B-A

3 coaches are left in Einsiedeln

18050 goes down with only 3 coaches A-B-B

the 4 coaches left in Z�rich Altstetten are coupled again

18051 goes up with the usual 7 coaches, now B-B-B-A-B-B-A

all 10 coaches pass the night in Einsiedeln

Elegant way to cope with the more intense traffic flow in the
morning and the maximum load pulling up the 5% grade!

Coaches are
5085 18-33 604 A EW II
5085 20-34 581 B EW II
5085 20-34 638 B EW II
5085 20-34 612 B EW II
5085 18-33 613 A EW II
5085 20-34 507 B EW II
5085 20-34 562 B EW II
5085 18-33 540 A EW I
5085 20-34 565 B EW II
5085 20-34 733 B EW II

Markus, G�rbetal

csipromo

--- In SwissRail@..., "Andrew Moglestue" <amogles@...>
wrote:

--- In SwissRail@..., Neil Larry <nl12lda@> wrote:

Since the demise of the quality catering on Einsiedeln service
can
anyone update me further, is it still a hauled service or now
operated
by units? If it is still hauled what can be expected these days.
Neil
As far as I am aware it is still loco-hauled. Traction is typically
one
of the four SOB ex-SBB Re4/4 iv units and the stock is typically
still
a mixed set of SBB EWI/II with the different refurbishment
variants.

I guess that its just not economic to roster new units onto a turn
that
spends mots of the day parked up in sidings. I suppose the current
consist will continue as long as SBB is prepared to provide those
coaches.

Andrew
Here is what I could find out:

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/traininfo.exe/dn/820479/275757/377576/84705
/95?
seqnr=4&ident=k8.029134220.1232131712&date=19.01.09&station_evaId=8503
283&station_type=dep&journeyStartIdx=0&journeyEndIdx=10&

The S18044 makes the run in 1:09. The train is not listed on
reisezuege.ch. From what I can tell, it is still composed of a Re 446
and SBB and SOB rolling stock. I do not know if SBB EWII Comfort
coaches are still used or whether it is a combination of IR and S-
Bahn (NPZ) coaches.

I will look into this for you and report back.

Andrew Moglestue

Neil Larry <nl12lda@...>