EUROSTAR THROUGH BOOKING TO SWITZERLAND

David Stevenson <bodensee@...>

I read in the Independent that Eurostar will now book you through to
Switzerland, great I thought, I go there two/three times a year for
the trains. At last an easy way to book and go and what's more fares
around £100 rtn, even better.

Then I checked for two people . . .

With Eurostar from St Pancras-Zurich, £420 rtn for 2 for the cheapest
seats, one train a day, I have to get to St Pancras which is expensive
and impossible more or less by car ( for Eurostar travel anyway ) from
where I live in Worcester. Coming back I'll be travelling in the peak
so will have to take a mortgage out. EasyJet from Luton for 2 £173
return on the days I want to travel. Forgot to mention that you cannot
book a Eurostar ticket for September yet. Travelling Swiss from
Birmingham, £260 rtn, yes that's Swiss from Brum, usually the world's
most expensive route. From Heathrow £200 rtn, nine flights a day. I
can drive to the airport, park and leave the car at a reasonable
rate, from Birmingham I don't even have to do that, one of the family
can take me.

Guess what . . . I won't be travelling with Eurostar, particularly as
you have to drag your luggage all over Paris as well.

Joined up thinking I don't think.

End of rant.
David Stevenson
bodensee@btconnect.com

Heléna Moretti

________________________________
"With Eurostar from St Pancras-Zurich, £420 rtn for 2 for the cheapest
seats, one train a day, I have to get to St Pancras which is expensive
and impossible more or less by car ( for Eurostar travel anyway ) from
where I live in Worcester. Coming back I'll be travelling in the peak
so will have to take a mortgage out. EasyJet from Luton for 2 £173
return on the days I want to travel. Forgot to mention that you cannot
book a Eurostar ticket for September yet."

"Guess what . . . I won't be travelling with Eurostar, particularly as
you have to drag your luggage all over Paris as well.

Joined up thinking I don't think."

End of rant.
David Stevenson
bodensee@btconnect. com

Hi David,

I always use Eurostar, I own no car and travel from Shrewsbury and pay on average about £120 from Shrewsbury to Basel, return. To do this I first look for Eurostars leaving London (and Paris) at about 13:00 booking directly on their website 3 months in advance (they don't release seats any earlier)..cost £59 return.
.
I then book my french tickets, using the Corail service from Paris Est to Mulhouse departing at 16:41, on the Rail Europe website for about 18.50 Euro each way (return departs at 07:45).  The hop to Basel usually costs 7.50 Euro which I buy at Mulhouse or at Paris depending on how much time I have at either on the day of travel. (The walk from Paris Nord to Est is 10 minutes at most).
.
I finally book my Wrexham & Shropshire advance singles for £10 each way and the job is done. No car park charges (yipee), no plane travel (yipee), no stripping down to my underwear for airport security (dang!), no dumping my toothpaste and bottle of pop in a bin because someone tried to sneak on board with a Swiss Army Knife 6 weeks before (yes you can take small Swiss army knives on Eurostar). The comfort of reserved seat, no queing in priority B and fighting with 150 other priority B's to get a seat. A bar where you can stand up, room to take a stroll about and avoid thrombosis and blood clots from folding yourself into a 4" square space they call a seat for 3 hours.
-
No 3 hours delay at 22:00 at night like we had at Zurich only to find all public transport has shut down for the night when you get home! All this and a carbon footprint a fraction of the size in a world slowly cooking itself to death.
.
Replying rant over......
Helena
.
PS Don't get me wrong, I am not annoyed at you David, your gripe is valid as you should be able to book all the tickets you need 3 months in advance on one site for the same price, perhaps even less. The reply shows it is possible to get your £100 return, sure it takes longer to do the journey, sure the process involves balancing 3 different websites and bookings but it is possible, it is my choice not to fly, for my son's sake (global climate change), for my sake (views and comfort) and I do get a class 72000 diesel to and from Paris Est.

Bill Bolton

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 07:04:51 +0000 (GMT), Helena wrote:

Replying rant over......
Congratulations on *entirely* missing the point of the original post!

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia

john_dmj

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, David Stevenson <bodensee@...> wrote:

[snip]
Forgot to mention that you cannot
book a Eurostar ticket for September yet.[snip]
Eurostar tickets can be booked up to 120 days in advance and TGV tickets up to 90 days in advance.

This means that today, I can book a Eurostar ticket for 29th September and a TGV ticket for 30 August.

With Eurostar to Lille (return) at £55 per person, Lille to Strasbourg (return by direct TGV) at £41 pp and Strasbourg to Basel at £37 return, that's London to Basel by train for £133 return per person. Booking through Eurostar (change in Paris) comes in at £170 pp return, so I will be going by train but not getting a through ticket!

srseditor <bodensee@...>

Hello Helena,

I had this suspicion you might reply!

As you know I agree almost 100% with your sentiments, I also agree that by flaffing about it is possible to get a reasonable deal. But why is it so difficult? Why can we only book three months in advance? I want to book six months in advance, perhaps even a year at times. This is impossible, and for no real reason as far as I can see. You and I are knowledgeable, we know our way round the snake pit of fares, services, companies etc etc. Eurostar have missed a trick yet again, they need to compete with the airlines, not neccessarily budget ones either. They aren't and until they do the average person will book quickly, easily and cheaply over the internet with an airline.

Take heart from the fact that we aren't average!!

Regards from Worcester,

DAVID

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Heléna Moretti <helena.moretti@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't comment on the pricing policy of Eurostar, TGV, DB,
SBB and other railway companies. But a little note on this:

srseditor wrote:
Why can we only book three months in advance? I want to book
six months in advance, perhaps even a year at times. This is
impossible, and for no real reason as far as I can see.
You can only book a train after its timetable is confirmed. And
Train operating companies are not independent in fixint
timetables, they need slots... Booking 6 months in advance
for 13 Dec 2009 would mean that the timetable for 2010 (which
starts on the date mentioned) must be fixed on 12 June 2009!

Tomorrow will start the public consultation of the timetable
2010/11 and after this about 3 months are needed to fix
everything.

Understand?

Markus, G�rbetal

young_pete2000

Is not one of the problems however with not booking a through journey that in the case of delay and/or missed connections there is no obligation on the Railway Operators to carry you on to your destination at no extra cost and as expediently as possible.

Young Pete

Bill Bolton

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:02:12 +0200, Markus wrote:

You can only book a train after its timetable is confirmed. And
Train operating companies are not independent in fixint
timetables, they need slots...
How is the significantly different for international airlines and
landing/gate slots at airports?

None the less, at least some international airlines will let you book
up to nearly a year in advance.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia

dale7522 <dalet80@...>

[no TOFU on SwissRail! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFU> ]

Hi, David

I couldn't agree with you more. I've been trying to get a Eurostar to just Brussels or Paris recently but gave up when the 3 month limit meant that I couldn't get plans finalised when I wanted. I was also hoping to use Eurostar as the first part of a trip to Switzerland (particularly as my local fast train goes into St Pancras) but again the 3 month limit caused problems with hotel accommodation - I've now booked with Easyjet.......

Why is there this silly 3 month limit?

I can book accommodation 12 months in advance and I can book flights 6-12 months in advance. As someone who likes to carefully plan my trips, it seems that I can't use Eurostar!

Regards,

Dale

A Spencer <spencera2@...>

[no TOFU on SwissRail! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFU> ]

Markus, is correct, everyone needs to remember that airline run a fraction
of what a railway runs, and they all have to bid for path, more so when
crossing international bounderies.

It would be great to book months and months ahead, but it would be a farse.
Also dispite me saying so when this thread first started, You Can book
Eurostar 120 days ahead, so as of now October the 1st is in the system.

The only real reason for booking so far ahead for a flight is cost, the
earlier you do it the cheaper it is, but is is also one big fiddle, the cost
£0.00, but then the extra come in, Air Tax, Fuel Tax, additional bags at
about £10 p/b, insurance then last of all Ryanair and their Credit Card
Sham. Do railways do that, the answer is a big NO. Yes it is cheaper if you
can book earlier, but there are NO extras. And then there is the cost of
food and drink on board planes, which actually make up for the cheapness of
the flight. Where on a train do you pay £3.50 for a coffee?

I would love (as a Railwayman) to use rail all the time, but as a pensioner,
I also have to watch the cost, time is not the big consideration since
retireing.

And then as has been mentioned, the Carbon Footprint, lets say no more than,
Rail is the winner here against all other land born transport and Flight.

Alan

Krist van Besien

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM, srseditor <bodensee@btconnect.com> wrote:

As you know I agree almost 100% with your sentiments, I also agree that by flaffing about it is possible to get a reasonable deal. But why is it so difficult? Why can we only book three months in advance? I want to book six months in advance, perhaps even a year at times. This is impossible, and for no real reason as far as I can see. You and I are knowledgeable, we know our way round the snake pit of fares, services, companies etc etc. Eurostar have missed a trick yet again, they need to compete with the airlines, not neccessarily budget ones either. They aren't and until they do the average person will book quickly, easily and cheaply over the internet with an airline.
I'm currently trying to get tickets for Geneve - Montpellier (I
actually need Bern - Gaillac, but I've given up getting the SNCF
website to aknowledge that this is in fact a trip one would want to
make). SNCF really doesn't get it. If it wasn't for my GF's aversion
to long car drives I would have choosen to rent a car for this trip.

I dont know how the SNCF actually managed to make it's booking site so
awfull. A lot of energy must have gone in to making it as hard to use
as possible...

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

A Spencer <spencera2@...>

[no TOFU on SwissRail! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFU> ]

Try, www.trainseurope.com

They can usually get almost anything, they are also opening a NEW outlet at
St Pancras next Monday in the East Midlands Train ticket Office (desk 1 I
believe).

alan

Nicholas Johns

Markus,

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Guerbetaler" <guerbetaler@...> wrote:

You can only book a train after its timetable is confirmed. And
Train operating companies are not independent in fixint
timetables, they need slots... Booking 6 months in advance
for 13 Dec 2009 would mean that the timetable for 2010 (which
starts on the date mentioned) must be fixed on 12 June 2009!
A perfectly valid point BUT... as the timetable(s) for the period through to the beginning of December is already agreed and in place, why is it not possible to book a ticket now for say 1st December?

Regards

Nick Johns

Guerbetaler

Bill Bolton wrote:
How is the significantly different for international airlines and
landing/gate slots at airports?

None the less, at least some international airlines will let you book
up to nearly a year in advance.
Sure, at YOUR risk of the bankruptcy of the airline.

And what do they do when they don't get the slot? Book you five
hours later on a code-sharing airline? And you will arrive at
Z�rich at 22 h instead of 17 h, don't get a connection to St. Moritz
any more and your hotel booking is paid for by the airline?
LOL :-P

Markus, G�rbetal

Tim Hall <kalyr@...>

Bill Bolton wrote:
How is the significantly different for international airlines and landing/gate slots at airports?
Given the density of train services across Europe, probably a lot. A train doesn't just need a platform at each terminus - it needs a path along it's entire route, often along tracks which are pretty much at capacity at many times of the day.

--
Tim
http://www.kalyr.com/weblog

Guerbetaler

danair081 wrote:
A perfectly valid point BUT... as the timetable(s) for the period
through to the beginning of December is already agreed and in place,
why is it not possible to book a ticket now for say 1st December?
The railways have the choice to let you book
a) three months before timetable change
b) three months before the journey

Railways opted for system b) and I can only guess why:
- additional timetable changes might occur (in England they do)
- it is hard to tell a passenger why he can already book
his journey to St. Moritz of 12 Dec but not the journey back
on 27 Dec or something like that
- if it is possible to book *some* trains 6, 9 or 12 months
ago, it is expected that *all* trains can be booked 6, 9
or 12 months in advance

just my twopenny

Markus, G�rbetal

Guerbetaler

young_pete2000 wrote:
Is not one of the problems however with not booking a through
journey that in the case of delay and/or missed connections there is
no obligation on the Railway Operators to carry you on to your
destination at no extra cost and as expediently as possible.
I booked the journey to England for our family holidays ;-) ;-)
- yes, in England - at BLS and they didn't offer through tickets
but told me, when I asked, that delays shouldn't cause a problem.
If I had to buy an additional ticket they would pay me back the
sum in Belp.

And, BTW, I have booked the cottage earlier. What's the problem
about that?

Yes, there seems to be a problem: Belp informed me that they
can't book the Paris - Basel TGV on the way home. The reservation
system has no trains between 21 and 26 July for Paris - Basel
they say. They would try again but had no idea why it didn't work.
But to be sure we get home, they booked a TGV Paris - Gen�ve.
To my surprise this would bring us home only half an hour later!

Markus, G�rbetal

Nigel Emery

David Stevenson wrote:
EasyJet from Luton for 2 �173 return on the days I want to travel.
Whilst I share your frustration particularly when booking a longish rail trip means the window is even smaller if you need to book return tickets at the same time as outbound tickets, lets hope Easyjet don't do the same to you as they did to hundreds of others last autumn when they withdrew from the Liverpool to Basel route at very short notice.

The airlines are also very fond of changing times such that your carefully laid onward travel plans fail completely. Later this summer my wife has a cheap flight booked from Birmingham to Stuttgart which when booked allowed plenty of time for her to join me in Erstfeld later in the day. A three hour change to the schedule now means an overnight in Stuttgart and a cheap flight is now anything but! Apparently the airline concerned are famous for this, such that they now go by the nickname of Fly mayBE.

I saw Michael O'Leary on the news earlier today confirming that Ryanair will be introducing charges to use the toilet on the planes,the plan apparently being that charging will allow them to reduce the number of toilets, get more seats in and reduce prices even further. Thanks Michael but no thanks I'll be taking the train.

Nigel

Krist van Besien

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM, young_pete2000
<young_pete2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
Is not one of the problems however with not booking a through journey that in the case of delay and/or missed connections there is no obligation on the Railway Operators to carry you on to your destination at no extra cost and as expediently as possible.
As long as all the tickets are covered by the CIV you should be OK.
Which is why it is good idea to get the special ticket to "London
International" when starting your trip in the UK. For the same reason
the SBB sells special connecting tickets in combination with for
example a TGV ticket Geneve - <somewhere in France>, so your whole
trip is covered by the the CIV rules.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

Krist van Besien

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:53 AM, dale7522 <dalet80@googlemail.com> wrote:
[no TOFU on SwissRail! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFU> ]

Hi, David

I couldn't agree with you more. I've been trying to get a Eurostar to just Brussels or Paris recently but gave up when the 3 month limit meant that I couldn't get plans finalised when I wanted.
But you can finalize your plans... Just decide on a travel date, and
make a note in your agenda to book your tickets when the booking
opens...
(I however usually finalize my travel plans once I'm travelling...)

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org