I need some dates to catalog my Swiss photos

John Lovda

I have a large collection of Swiss train photos dating back to 1976. I am trying to put approximate dates on some of my oldest film shots that were scanned many years ago. I am now at the age where I can't remember details from a long time ago. Could anyone help me by providing rough dates (years) for visual changes to locomotives:

1. Rectangular headlamps first appeared.
2. The angled handrail and small steps by the buffer appeared.
3. The digital connector appeared underneath the center headlamp.
4. Locomotives started to be painted red.
5. Diamond pantographs were replaced by single arm?

For these changes, approximately how many years did it take for a complete change over?

Thanks,

Am 27.10.2010 21:15, schrieb jlovda:
I have a large collection of Swiss train photos dating back to 1976.
I am trying to put approximate dates on some of my oldest film shots
that were scanned many years ago. I am now at the age where I can't
remember details from a long time ago. Could anyone help me by
providing rough dates (years) for visual changes to locomotives:

1. Rectangular headlamps first appeared.
Re 4/4 II 11178, 15.11.1983 (SER 4/83)

2. The angled handrail and small steps by the buffer appeared.
Was a consequence of change number 3 but started somewhat later, about 1990. It took a long time to be generalized, maybe well to 2000.

3. The digital connector appeared underneath the center headlamp.
Locmotives delivered in 1983 had the line prepared but no connector was installed yet. General fitting started soon afterwards but I haven't found the exact date.

4. Locomotives started to be painted red.
Re 4/4 II 11178, 15.11.1983 (SER 4/83)

5. Diamond pantographs were replaced by single arm?
Re 4/4 II 11107-09 got single arm pantographs in 1967/68 for tests and the new locomotives got single arm pantographs from 1969. But there was no general replacement. However, some Re 4/4 II 11101-55 at some time got single arm pantographs but some of them also changed back to diamond pantographs.

Markus, Gï¿œrbetal

gordonwis

just to add that the last batch of Re4/4II 11371-397 built 1984 - 85 were built in red livery, therefore AFAIK 11371 was the first SBB loco to be delivered in red from new. I remember them gleaming in the sun around Ziegelbrucke, in stark contrast to the encumbent Ae3/6 and 4/7 which I was chasing at the time. Their arrival marked the start of the demise of the oldies in the Glarner Land

Fionnbarr Kennedy

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Markus <guerbetaler@...> wrote:

Re 4/4 II 11107-09 got single arm pantographs in 1967/68 for tests and
the new locomotives got single arm pantographs from 1969. But there was
no general replacement. However, some Re 4/4 II 11101-55 at some time
got single arm pantographs but some of them also changed back to diamond
pantographs.
Am I right in thinking the main reason for the single armed pantos is increased speed?

Fionnbarr
www.fionnbarr.com

Guerbetaler

Am 28.10.2010 18:15, schrieb disco1ie:
Am I right in thinking the main reason for the single armed pantos is
increased speed?
The Re 4/4 II can travel at 140 km/h with either type.

Later deliveries never had anything else than a single arm pantograph, even on trams...

Markus, Gï¿œrbetal

OL.Guerbetal

Am 28.10.2010 13:01, schrieb Gordon Wiseman:
just to add that the last batch of Re4/4II 11371-397 built 1984 - 85
were built in red livery, therefore AFAIK 11371 was the first SBB
loco to be delivered in red from new.
No, the first ones arrived with rectangular head lights but in green.
First red from new was 11377.

Markus, Gï¿œrbetal

John Lovda

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Every piece of information helps.

John