Refurbished Ae 6/6 11421 Graubunden + Refurbished Re 6/6 620 074-5

John Lovda

Thank you for the great detailed Ae 6/6 report.

You mentioned 11413 "Schaffhausen" in your report below. Maybe this is a Roco "fantasy," but they are currently selling this locomotive in a Red/Blue Cargo paint scheme. Also, when in Biasca photographing the line of Ae 6/6's, I noticed that several had the windshield wipers changed from top pivot to bottom pivot with the windshield handrail changed accordingly. If the money was spent to change this I would assume those locomotives were in line for further upgrades.

Changing topics, while in Bellinzona I had the wonderful opportunity to see a locomotive emerge as new; sort of like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon. At the far north end of the SBB Workshop there is an area where several mothballed locomotives sit and tracks emerge from the workshop doors. There sat Re 6/6 No. 620 074-5 "Murgenthal." I took some pictures on Oct. 10 and the stenciling on the side said "Be R3 12.10.10." It was being run back and forth in the yard while tests were being performed. It looked beautiful. The mechanical equipment underneath the body by the shiny steel wheels were brand new and shiny. It was tough to get a good picture because the FFS employee parking lot (where I was) was separated from the tracks by a tall chain-link fence. I will post pictures of these two locomotives.

John

brucie1772001 <bs177@...>

Thanks for your informative posts.

I would appreciate directions to the parking lot - I assume that no-one worries about enthusiasts at this location?

Cheers

Bruce S

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "jlovda" <jlovda@...> wrote:
It was tough to get a good picture because the FFS employee parking lot (where I was) was separated from the tracks by a tall chain-link fence. I will post pictures of these two locomotives.

John

John Lovda

At the south end of the main station building there are some stone/brick stairs that go down to the bus level. Go down these stairs and keep going straight. You will walk past the south end of the depot. When you get to the end of the building, turn right (north) and walk all the way to the end of the complex. It is a looooong 200m - 300m. When you get to the end (I believe there is a traffic light, not sure) turn right. You will pass a building and come to the parking lot. You'll see the parked locomotives. I suspect there are security cameras because last year when I was walking back to the station, a security guard at the main entrance waved and smiled at me. I don't think they care as long as you don't try to get through the fence or climb on the cars.

This huge complex parallels the main tracks. I have added two pictures of this area that were taken at main track level with a telephoto lens as far north as I could go. This was past an employee parking lot and a freight depot. The main complex is lower that the station and main tracks.

John

John Lovda

Put these coordinates into Google Maps: 46.200315,9.033229. Go down the station steps (46.195859,9.029694 and walk down Via Ludovico il Moro. My picture of the wheels was taken on this street. Make a right turn onto Viale Officina. This street blends into Via San Gottardo. Turn right at Via al Prato. Walk 50 meters or so and get to the parking lot and view the trains. The Google satellite picture shows the parking lot empty but with a line of locomotives. I took my two telephoto pictures from here: 46.198391,9.033026.
John

gordonwis

This is the 'modernised cab' modification. AFAIK this was an isolated modification/modernisation. All the Ae6/6 still in service are the modified version, but due to the downturn some of the modified versions are still not required at present.

Therefore, the situation at present is that there are xx stored Ae6/6, some of which are modified and some not.

I suspect that at some point soon SBBC will weed out the unmodified and scrap/sell them, but keep the modified examples in store for a bit longer pending an upturn which might see them return to service).