Wassen

gordonwis

Can anyone please advise on whether the photo points around Wassen get any decent sun (and thus also at what times of day) at all druing the months of winter time

Andrew

Hi Gordon. I don't pretend to be an expert, but i will give you my personal and very amateur opinion from my visits there. There are many viewing points in the area of the village because of the nature of the railway circling its way up and down The St Gotthard. The station itself is not served anymore, but the buildings and infrastructure are still there. There is no fencing, so you can get right to the trackside. At the station itself, there are tunnels both to the north and south, but you can see the trains approaching from both directions with plenty of warning as they spiral up and down the mountain on their approach to the station.

Obviously in Winter, daylight is restricted, and therefore the sun is low in the sky, also there are mountains in most directions, but with half decent equipment, you can certainly get decent photos and footage.

Because the trains don't stop there anymore, i get the bus from my base in Erstfeld. I can supply more details if required.

If you do visit Wassen, don't forget the famous and iconic church !.

Remember, i am just a train enthusiast, not a professional. Im sure there are other members who might disagree with my thoughts

Best wishes

Andy

John Lovda

A lot of the more unique photos I have seen were taken in locations that (to me anyway) are accessible by car or a very long hike. A good example is sitting above the southern portal of the circular loop on the east side of the valley looking north. You will see trains go around a curve either towards or away from the level beneath the church. I've also seen a picture taken from above the highest bridge (closest to Erstfeld). This would practically require mountain climbing.

Regarding photography, I have been to Switzerland many times and I always pray for bright, overcast skies. Bright sun always produces excessive contrast causing the undercarriage to be black and glare on the smooth sides of locomotives. You are also limited to taking pictures in one direction to avoid flare.

Nigel Emery

On 03/11/2010 16:19, Gordon Wiseman wrote:
Can anyone please advise on whether the photo points around Wassen get any decent sun (and thus also at what times of day) at all druing the months of winter time
I've seen plenty of winter pictures of the lower curve.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=273628

for example is a late Feb shot where you can see the most of village is lit. CIS 19 is I think 13.50 off Arth-Goldau.

http://mlrail.fotopic.net/p47673702.html

is a Jan 1st shot showing that there's at least some sun on the lower curve even around the shortest day. Click to the next photo and the photographer says there is a couple of hours sun from midday.

For sun direction and times it's worth downloading TPE.

http://photoephemeris.com/

The desktop version is free, the iphone version is about a fiver!

Nigel

Nicholas Johns

Gordon,

Can anyone please advise on whether the photo points around Wassen
get any decent sun (and thus also at what times of day) at all
druing the months of winter time

I was in the area in the third week of January this year. I started off at the 'Upper' level at Wassen between the Meienkreuz Tunnel and the Obere Entschigtal-Galerie - was a bit of a slog getting up there in deep snow but worth it. Sun came out from behind he mountains about 1045. I note from a photo I took looking down towards the village that the Church was in full sun not long after that. Unfortunately it clouded over about 1230 but later down at the lower level at Wattinger there was an intermittent reappearance of the sun through to about 1530.

Hope that is of use.

Nick Johns

John Lovda

Those pictures are beautiful but how do you get to the spot if you are traveling by train and bus?

csipromo

The last information that I had heard was that the Susten Pass was already closed between Wassen and Meiringen. The Sustenstrasse is the best way to get close to the Middle and Upper Meienreuss bridge. I do not know where the road is blocked off for the winter, but if it is not at the very beginning, you may still be able to access the hillside road.
Also, during the winter months, it may occur that there is no direct sunlight at the valley floor, with sunlight on the hillsides between certain hours only.

As reported, there are busses from Erstfeld which replace the old lokalzuege that used to stop at the Wassen station.

One of my favorite things was taking a local or regional train with EWI or EWII coaches (or even the 1970s UIC coaches, where you could open the windows to take photos. The newer IC and EC coaches do not allow for this, but other passengers would not appreciate an open window in winter.

Krist van Besien

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Gordon Wiseman <gordonwis@yahoo.com> wrote:
Can anyone please advise on whether the photo points around Wassen get any decent sun (and thus also at what times of day) at all druing the months of winter time
A good tool to find out if a certain place will have sun or not is
google earth. You can have it paint shadows, taking in acount the
position of the sun, which you can than set for any time of day or
year you want.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Fionnbarr Kennedy

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Nigel Emery <groups@...> wrote:

On 03/11/2010 16:19, Gordon Wiseman wrote:
Can anyone please advise on whether the photo points around Wassen get any decent sun (and thus also at what times of day) at all druing the months of winter time
These are Erstfeld - Wassen winter views:

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Swiss-Freights/PostContainersWassen.jpg.html

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Local_Trains/RE_Erstfeld.jpg.html

If you get snow there are other possibilities:

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Snow/185s_Wassen_Upper.jpg.html

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Snow/DSC_0235.jpg.html

You dont need the same lighting conditions in snow.

I have more but just to show possibilities do exist!

Fionnbarr
www.fionnbarr.com

gordonwis

Thanks for the replies.

I have been using Google earth for yonks but have never had time to even notice the 'show sun facility - so thanks for the prompt.

You can indeed see from that facility that at present (November) Wassen get sun for several hours in the middle part of the day

I thought for a moment it would actually show the direction of the sun exactly but it seems not.

Also many thanks for the very interesting photo ephemera site

Fionnbarr Kennedy

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "jlovda" <jlovda@...> wrote:

Those pictures are beautiful but how do you get to the spot if you are traveling by train and bus?
Who's pictures are you refering to? If mine let me know & I'll tell you

Fionnbarr
www.fionnbarr.com

John Lovda

I guess I'm referring to yours but I have seen quite a few from that location.

Maybe it isn't as hard to reach is I think but it looks like it is quite far below the city level of Wassen. The Wassen church now has a little fenced-in "viewing area" facing south to see the trains coming and going down below by the tunnel portal. I really never considered trying to find a path down to the "photo spot."

John

Fionnbarr Kennedy

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "jlovda" <jlovda@...> wrote:

I guess I'm referring to yours but I have seen quite a few from that location.

Maybe it isn't as hard to reach is I think but it looks like it is quite far below the city level of Wassen. The Wassen church now has a little fenced-in "viewing area" facing south to see the trains coming and going down below by the tunnel portal. I really never considered trying to find a path down to the "photo spot."

John
For the curve

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Snow/DSC_0258.jpg.html

(Iv'e shown this to illustrate even in heavy snow its accessible) Take the bus to Wassen Dorf. Walk on in the direction of travel for about 10 mins and there is a road leading down to a farm to you left. Head down there and have fun!

Before you get to that turn you have these views on your right:

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Snow/DSC_0221.jpg.html

It basically just south of the station.

If the weather is good (iv'e only done it in summer) you can cut the Gothard trail here and hike back down to Erstfeld. All sorts of possibilities:

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Local_Trains/Hols07_240.jpg.html

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/NEW/RE10-10_Gothard.jpg.html

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/NEW/ICNGothard.jpg.html

However I dont know if this trail is open at that time. Also be aware the valley floor wont get sun and as you descend the lower your light "window" will be.

Another easily reachable area by train is Airolo:

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Snow/Airolo2.jpg.html

This view a 10 mins walk southwards from the station.

Lots of possibilities, lots of fun!

Finally dont forget the idea of going to Göschenen with the train and continuing with the MGB to Andermatt:

http://www.fionnbarr.com/gallery2/v/Rail/Swiss/Snow/Goschenen10.jpg.html

from the train

and then lots of other possibilities once there.

Looking forward to the results

Fionnbarr
www.fionnbarr.com

Brian Stephenson

For the photo spot on the curve just short of the Wattinger tunnel walk past the station on your right and a turning appears on the left which dives under the motorway and once through the tunnel you are virtually there. Take care not to upset the farmer.

Brian

Mark Pichowicz

Another well known spot accessible from the same bus is Gurtnellen. Take the bus to Gurtnellen Wiler, walk down through the village, past the church and across the river. Turn left alongside the railway line then pass under the line and climb along the otherside taking the lower of the 2 paths (5-10 min walk from bus-stop).

Here are a couple of examples of the view from here:
Looking towards Erstfeld: http://europeanrailwaysbybantam61668.fotopic.net/p66928954.html
Looking towards Goschenen: http://europeanrailwaysbybantam61668.fotopic.net/p66928949.html

I've haven't tried this location in Winter yet (planned very shortly) but have seen some so imagine it is accessible, Iwould imagine the light to be similar to that at Wassen.

Mark

Fionnbarr Kennedy

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Mark Pichowicz <mpichowicz@...> wrote:

I've haven't tried this location in Winter yet (planned very shortly) but have seen some so imagine it is accessible, Iwould imagine the light to be similar to that at Wassen.
I've only accessed it via the trail but yes its v close to the village so it should be accessible all year. Re light its lower then Wassen but not as low as Erstfeld so should be good for some luck

Fionnbarr
www.fionnbarr.com