[RhB] Collision with Allegra 3504

OL.Guerbetal

A British car driver didn't note blinking signals and the barriers of a Davos level crossing. He was finally caught between the barriers, but instead of putting the first gear and driving out, he left his car. Now he has to buy a new one and pay quite an enormous damage on RhB infrastructure plus a little damage on Allegra 3504. Allegras are quite robust because they are articulated locomotives.

<http://www.gr.ch/DE/institutionen/verwaltung/djsg/kapo/aktuelles/medien/2012/Seiten/201208153.aspx>

Markus, Gürbetal

tudor erich

I do hope British drivers don`t do this often.....

Bernard

John Lovda

Is that standard procedure in Britain?

Max Wyss

Is that standard procedure in Britain?
This is so; they now get voice warnings (besides flashing lights,
bells, etc.)… http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/level-crossing-voice-warnings.html

Max.

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, tudoryork <tudoryork@...> wrote:

Bernard
They manage it on a regular basis in the UK despite hard hitting TV adverts, so why not spread their stupidity around for a change!! :-)

Bruce

bty506661

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, bs177@... wrote:

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, tudoryork <tudoryork@> wrote:

Bernard
They manage it on a regular basis in the UK despite hard hitting TV adverts, so why not spread their stupidity around for a change!! :-)

Bruce
It's hard to tell what nation has more brain spasms as they approach level crossings, the British or the Americans....

George Raymond

Swiss trains tend to be fast and short, so people don't much mind waiting
for them. US trains tend to be slow and long, so some people get in the
habit of trying to beat them.

George

tudor erich

Swiss trains tend to be fast and short, so people don't much mind
waiting for them. US trains tend to be slow and long, so some
people get in the habit of trying to beat them.
And what is the situation in the UK?

Bernard

Gerald Hepworth <get2hep@...>

In the UK trains also tend to be fast and short, doesn't stop the idiots trying
to race them though.

Don Newing

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, tudoryork <tudoryork@...> wrote:

Swiss trains tend to be fast and short, so people don't much mind
waiting for them. US trains tend to be slow and long, so some
people get in the habit of trying to beat them.
And what is the situation in the UK?

Bernard
In the UK, the full barrier type of crossing as installed at Davos is mostly used where the crossing is controlled by a signaller (the official non sexist term for a signalman/signalwoman), and the signals controlling the train will only be cleared after he/she has observed (either directly or by closed circuit television) that the barriers are down and nobody trapped between. A recently introduced alteration, not yet widely applied, which can be operated automatically, uses obstacle detection to prove the crossing clear of road vehicles.

Most automatic level crossings are in rural areas, and are of the half barrier type, where the barrier is on the side of the road used by approaching traffic (i.e. the left in the UK). These are the types of crossing which are most widely abused, by impatient motorists weaving round the barriers.

For those who want the technical details of UK applications, see the Office of the Rail Regulator's web site:

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1647

and download the PDF of guidance on level crossings. This is a government web site with lots more publicly accessible information on railways should you wish to explore it.

Don Newing

tudor erich

Don <donnewing@me.com> wrote:
In the UK, the full barrier type of crossing as installed at Davos...
Many thanks,

Bernard

OL.Guerbetal

Am 16.08.2012 21:38, schrieb Don:
Most automatic level crossings are in rural areas, and are of the
half barrier type, where the barrier is on the side of the road used
by approaching traffic (i.e. the left in the UK). These are the types
of crossing which are most widely abused, by impatient motorists
weaving round the barriers.
this is why half barriers are very seldom in Switzerland.

Apart from museum railways there are no manually operated barriers left in Switzerland. They were replaced by automatic devices after a bad accident in the Z�rich-Oberland region where a train had hit a coach on a level crossing, where the signaller had forgotten to close the barriers. I'm not aware of obstacle detection in Switzerland.

Markus, G�rbetal