Gotthard train cab ride

John Lovda

I am just curious to know if any of this group's members have paid the ~SF 750 to ride in the locomotive cab on the Gotthard line. The price is so high my curiosity is aroused.

John Lovda

Roger W. Fischer

I am just curious to know if any of this group's members have paid the
~SF 750 to ride in the locomotive cab on the Gotthard line. The price
is so high my curiosity is aroused.
My brother and I received the trip, Arth Goldau to Locarno, as a gift. It
was absolutely spectacular. The weather was great. The accompanying engineer
provided informative and entertaining commentary all the way.

The rest of the family traveled coach, and we made it a day-outing to the
Ticino.

The price is steep, but at least one has the opportunity to ride in the cab.

I am glad I was able to do it. It is a memory that I will treasure.

Roger

gordonwis

Longer standing members of the group may have heard this before as I seem to remember we covered the subject a while go.
Luckily I have no need to spend such a vast sum of money because in the 1980s you were officially allowed to ride in the ‘cab’ for free on local trains that had a driving trailer (US=cab car)

Andrew Moglestue

you can also get a slightly cheaper version here:

http://www.ae47.ch/ae47/index.htm

John Fleck <johntgv@...>

Back in 1988 during my first visit to Switzerland, the SBB published a small
booklet called Timetable for Railfans listing trains where one can sit in
the front near the driver. I rode local trains powered by RBe 4/4
motorcoaches from Erstfeld to Airolo through the Gotthard Tunnel. At that
time, the price was not 750CHF, it was ZERO CHF!

Those were the days!

John Fleck

I am just curious to know if any of this group's members have paid the
~SF 750 to ride in the locomotive cab on the Gotthard line. The price
is so high my curiosity is aroused.
My brother and I received the trip, Arth Goldau to Locarno, as a gift. It
was absolutely spectacular. The weather was great. The accompanying engineer
provided informative and entertaining commentary all the way.

The rest of the family traveled coach, and we made it a day-outing to the
Ticino.

The price is steep, but at least one has the opportunity to ride in the cab.

I am glad I was able to do it. It is a memory that I will treasure.

Roger

csipromo

The famous TEE Gottardo as well as the RBe 4/4 triebwagen had places where passengers could look through the front window. The SBB currently operates a historic BDe 4/4 that also allows for visitors to look out the front window.

Riding in the cab of a mainline locomotive (Re 4/4II, Re 6/6 or Re 460) must be a special experience though.

There must be thousands of Swiss railfans. Why can't the SBB provide info such as that today?

I have ridden on similar MGB motorized coaches from Disentis to Andermatt and the view behind the driver was great. However, the last time I attempted it, the driver pulled down all the shades behind him as we pulled out of the station. It was a rather mean spirited thing to do.

John

Roger W. Fischer

Back in 1988 during my first visit to Switzerland, the SBB published
a small booklet called Timetable for Railfans listing trains where
one can sit in the front near the driver. I rode local trains powered
by RBe 4/4 motorcoaches from Erstfeld to Airolo through the
Gotthard Tunnel. At that time, the price was not 750CHF, it was ZERO CHF!
For the price of a normal first class ticket, you can still do that on an
Allegra of the RhB.

Roger

tudor erich

Hello Roger,

I don`t really think it is the same.

In the Allegra there is no immediate forward facing seat in the first class section. So it is either standing up or kneeling on the backward facing seat behind the driver. Neither is comfortable for any length of time and the `diagonal bars` of the structure of the cab restrict the view too.

Been there, done it on the Bernina, Albula and Arosa lines in the last few weeks.

Just my 2c worth.

Sorry,

Bernard

nick_lawford <d7666@...>

Anyone know if the BLS offer similar facility over the Lötschberg - its always been my favourite even above the Gotthard.

--
Nick

csipromo

You can contact the BLS via their website www.bls.ch

I don't know how the Loetschberger trainsets or the new MUTZ trainsets are designed, but some of the older consists using EWI and former SBB pilot coaches would allow a few visitors to sit adjacent to the driver in the pilot coach. The same may be true for the older BLS pilot coaches as well.
For an actual locomotive cab ride, the best way would be to contact BLS directly.

George Raymond

However, the last time I attempted it, the driver pulled down all the
shades behind him as we pulled out of the station. It was a rather mean
spirited thing to do.
If the shades are closed to begin with, when the driver walks past me on the
way into the cab, I sometimes politely ask if he would be willing to open
them.

George

Keith Hookham <keith47424@...>

I had the pleasure of doing a cab ride from Spiez - Brig in a DB 185 and
returned with a Re425 in 2003. I also managed to do it on one of the
Mercia/Charters Helvetica railtours that I helped organise a few years ago.
It is a totally different point of view. (And was also free to do as well)
This was taken out of the cab window
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16113768@N02/5624293040/in/set-72157626160879996

This is in Brig yard
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16113768@N02/5624293124/in/set-72157626160879996

Our loco for the trip back to Spiez
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16113768@N02/5624293890/in/set-72157626160879996

I have a few other photos that are not the greatest. For example the lion
at the start of the tunnel.
If people are interested I can put them up as well.

--
Cheers Keith47424

csipromo

If anybody wants such an experience on video, TEE USA (tee-usa.com) is offering both Gotthard and Loetschberg cab rides on DVD. The films were produced by TEE USA during the early 1990s.

http://www.eurolokshop.com/store/swiss-dvd.html

Gerald Hepworth <get2hep@...>

RV Television did a cab ride from Thun to Brig.There's no date shown
but I would guess late nineties