Ae 6/6 changes

Martin Baumann

As of 17.12.2012. The following was reported on Bahnforum.ch. I cannot vouch for its accuracy. 11424, reported as stored at Däniken, was in fact working a freight through Basel Badischer Bahnhof at 1415 today

11404 WITHDRAWN 17.12.2012
11419 Stopped 17.12.2012 stored Däniken
610 420 Stopped 17.12.2012 stored Däniken
11424 Stopped 17.12.2012 stored Däniken
11426 ordered to be stopped on 19.12.2012
11427 out of service compressor failed
11430 available for use
11438 WITHDRAWN date uncertain
610 439 stored serviceable
11440 derailed in Schwerzenbach in November, out of service there
11446 WITHDRAWN date uncertain
11453 available for use
11455 stored in Brugg
610 463 available for use
11464 available for use
11465 stored, location unknown
11470 available for use
11473 available for use
11479 WITHDRAWN date uncertain
610 482 available for use
11485 available for use
610 486 WITHDRAWN date uncertain
11488 available for use
610 492 available for use
11495 ordered to be stored at Däniken on 20.12.2012
610 496 available for use
11501 available for use
11502 available for use
11507 WITHDRAWN date uncertain
11512 available for use
11513 available for use
11514 WITHDRAWN date uncertain
11515 stored, location unknown
11517 stored, location unknown
11518 WITHDRAWN date uncertain
610 519 available for use
11520 available for use

gordonwis

First a small plea: please can we keep reports of Ae6/6 movements in this thread, not that it has been established.

11512 was working on 13 December, one correspondent states seeing 11404 in use four days prior to it being withdrawn (stated as 17/12)

The following were reported for Monday 17/12:

610 486 at St Gallen Winkeln on aggregates working
11473 worked freight Bern - Lausanne- Triage A/B.
11424 was seen working at Badischer Bahnhof (on the same type of move as 512 on Thursday 13/12

Today 18/12:
RBL
11427, 11430, 11479, 11513 und 11520
All in the depot area switched on, i.e. ready for operation at any time
At the time this was viewed, an unidentified Cargo liveried lok returned from a job.

The gen for all this comes from Bahnforum CH, but the situation with Ae6/6 reporting is somewhat confused with information taken from the SBB systems seemingly sometimes conflicting with information on the ground.

In the listings, what does not help for English speakers is that `Abbruch' is used often in the listings but the word is given various English definitions in my German dictionary, including both `demolition' and stopped'.

Easier to be clear about in English is Abgestellt which has only one definition in most German dictionaries – ie stopped/turned off.

To make things clear (even in German) one Bahnforum contributor requested a list showing perhaps just two categories (available for use and not available for use (!)). Unfortunately this request has not yet been taken up by those with access to the SBBC operations computer networks.

Of course none of this is uncommon on railways when a type of vehicle comes to the end of its service life, but it seems more haphazard than is usual for Switzerland. As I recall (although I may not be recalling accurately of course) when the end of service came for the previous big batches of `oldies' Ae3/6 and Ae4/7 fleets were stopped `cleanly' in one fell swoop.

Stefan Dringenberg

Gordon wrote on 18 Dec 2012:

In the listings, what does not help for English speakers is that `Abbruch'
is used often in the listings but the word is given various English
definitions in my German dictionary, including both `demolition' and
stopped'.
In the given context the word "Abbruch" means "demolition".

HTH
Stefan, native speaker ;)

Martin Baumann

11465 in service in Basel area today

In the given context the word "Abbruch" means "demolition".
HTH
Stefan, native speaker ;)

Thanks for the clarification Stefan. So presumably it can be assumed that when quoting from list/SBB internal systems, Abgestellt will come first followed by Abbruch.

gordonwis

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" wrote:

First a small plea: please can we keep reports of Ae6/6 movements in this thread, not that it has been established.

Apologies, the spellcheck of course accepted 'not' but it should have said 'now'

gordonwis

More gen on Ae6/6 workings from Bahnforum ch. I have also injected a bit of balance across the Rösti divide by picking up some extra stuff from my account on the CHRail forum – the forum for Suisse Romande / other French speakers.

Firstly, apparently Cargo have hired track B 16 at Däniken for around 9 months to hold Ae 6/6 awaiting their fate.

and

11495 is allocated to Cargo Int for Gotthard banking duties until 21.12.2012.

Workings:

Sat 15/12

11473 on sugar beet workings Chavornay - Aarberg - Payerne - BiRB.

Monday 16/12

11453 and 11464 were due to work in Suisse Romande one on the Lausanne Tridel binliners and the other on one of the Neuchatel are duties.

Tuesday 18/12

"midday 20 Minutes at Pratteln produced 3 Ae 6/6 workings (11424, 11465 and 11512)"
11502 Container train at Aarau terminal (Presumably the Aarau RB – Basel working)
11513 freights 62923/62978.
11430 UID move off RBL
11520 62484 Lupfig - RBL E-Gruppe.

Ps Regarding Lausanne Tridel, last week the Tridel shuttles were worked 50% by Ae6/6, although in the new timetable the afternoon duty starts before the morning duty has been completed so needs two locos vice one!

Martin Baumann

11473 was stopped this morning 11424 and 11488 are expected to be soon

Today’s Ae6/6 sightings (Dec 20)
11404 out of use at Basel GB, but 11502 was in use at Basel RB.
610 486 aggregates train at Affoltern am Albis.
419, 420, 424 488 were down to go to Däniken for store: status " Reserve für Herbstvekehr" (reserve for Autumn workings)
Having been hard at work for  2 -3 days in the new t/t  11473 was stopped today 20/12. Conversely 11427 suffered a compressor problem but has repaired and is available for use again.
Additional sighting from Monday 17/12:
11485 train 68654 at Kirchberg (BLS Burgdorf – Solothurn),

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Wiseman <gordonwis@...> wrote:
419, 420, 424 488 were down to go to Däniken for store: status " Reserve für Herbstvekehr" (reserve for Autumn workings)
Can we expect a number of Re 4/4 (420 & 430) to transfer across from Passenger to Cargo now that class 511 have taken over in the South West?

One assumes also reading between the lines that a number of 610's will be retained (at Daniken?) in warm storage until the next sugar beet season after which there will be more Re4/4's available and the scrapman calls.

Seasons greetings to all

Bruce

gordonwis

Maybe the road at Däniken really is warm (next to the post building?)

Presumably the arrival of the Twindexx stock will cause a new change round from 2014. Twindexx will presumably release a batch of Re460 - maybe some of them will become Cargo loks again. Of course relating to my previous post - of SBB stopped being so International the there would be enough 421s, 482s etc to replace the Ae6/6 for good!

gordonwis

.

RBL 10.30 today Friday 21/12

Warm in the depot area awaiting use:
11427, 11470, 11515 und 11520

In the 'parking roads' a UID green lok, also Warm

Stopped and cold in the storage roads Dietikon end 3 green loks awaiting their fate:

11473, 11479 and 11501

11463 (610 463) 11473 11479 WITHDRAWN TODAY

11501 WAITING FOR ATTENTION TO WHEELFLATS

11404 AWAITING SCRAP AT MÜNCHENSTEIN

gordonwis

Word has it that around Christmas SBB Cargo put out a total embargo on any movement of Ae6/6 under their own power. SBB Cargo now apparently see these old engines as a liability rather than as an asset. This is not to say that local managers may not have used some of the better remaining Ae6/6s to run odd workings 'as an emergency'. .. read on!

All the more remarkable therefore, that 11515 left Limmattal on Tuesday 8/1/13 only to turn up on a Daillens – Brig postal on Wednesday 9th. ...It's an interesting `traction emergency' that takes a loco from Limmattal yard to Daillens to Brig...

Ae6/6 booked workings to Brig ceased some years ago and I'm not aware of one going there in the last 2 -3 years.

Indeed the Valais seemed to be the place to be:
11520 worked a non-timetabled freight also on the 8th. This was Train supplémentaire 69757 (dep. Genève La Praille 14.18), hauling empty wagons being repatriated to Italy.

Pretty irritated that after all these years one of the last trains which will ever run with an Ae6/6 has run from Genève La Praille past my family's `home territory' at an ideal time of day for photography (in recent years the only 6/6 working ex Genève has been after sunset) but I'm not on holiday there at the right time!

After the `crisis' in 2008 cut back Ae6/6 workings the Valais became one of the places with the fewest Ae6/6 workings, so this is a classic example of a short term (very short term it will probably turn out) increase in the interest value of Ae6/6 workings.

Signs of life also for 11512 seen working at Laufenburg on Tuesday 8.

Sadly, there is less good news today 11/1.

It looks like there are just five Ae6/6 neither at Däniken for store nor already withdrawn:
424, 430, 440, 455, 495, 501
However, 424 is parked up in Basel, 440 is still derailed, 455 is parked up at Brugg, 501 und has been sitting at RBL cold since 20/12/12. 502 is parked at Basel "until 13/1". So that leaves just 430 and 495 ready for work, but 495 is slated for imminent withdrawal.
512 is parked at Erstfeld covered in new snow!

Better news late today:
507 is in Erstfeld works `for modification for the infra division'

Martin Baumann

New status list in files section. Although some locos are still listed as "in service" as Gordon already mentioned none are officially active.

11507 is being stripped of spare parts at Erstfeld.

It was withdrawn 17.12.2012

Martin Baumann 12.01.2013

Martin Baumann

11502 arrived in Brig for storage or possible canabalisation this morning. Preserved loco 11407 is to receive the bogies of 11455 which were overhauled last year

Further update 14.01.2013 (file updated)

All locos are now stored or withdrawn except on paper:

11430 last reported at Buchs

11440 stored at Schwerzenbach ZH with derailment damage

11455 at RBL waiting to donate bogies to 11407

I have 11440 and 11455 listed as Z which is their actual status

MARTIN BAUMANN

Martin Baumann

11424 moved from Basel to Däniken for continued storage.

There are plans to plinth 11404 at the former Brown Boverei plant in Münchenstein near Basel. (WAB He 2/2 55 is already plinthed there and can be viewed from trains passing on the line to Delemont)

Martin Baumann 15.01.2013

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "martinbaumann112" wrote:

11424 moved from Basel to Däniken for continued storage.

There are plans to plinth 11404 at the former Brown Boverei plant in Münchenstein near Basel. (WAB He 2/2 55 is already plinthed there and can be viewed from trains passing on the line to Delemont)

Martin Baumann 15.01.2013
Martin,

Have a corresponding number of displaced Re 4/4 transferred over to Cargo to replace the Ae 6/6? If so, are you able to say which ones?

I would guess that given the relatively small number of passenger turns left, the passenger sector probably now only have 11101 - 11159/61/64/81 and 11193 - 11228 plus the Lions at most even making an allowance for extrazugs and cover for breakdowns and would expect that the later ones are now all being used by Cargo.

Cheers

bruce

timngoodwin

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "martinbaumann112" wrote:

Further update 14.01.2013 (file updated)

All locos are now stored or withdrawn except on paper:

11430 last reported at Buchs

11440 stored at Schwerzenbach ZH with derailment damage

11455 at RBL waiting to donate bogies to 11407

I have 11440 and 11455 listed as Z which is their actual status

MARTIN BAUMANN
Have we now reached the end of Ae6/6s in day-to-day revenue earning service then? Or will they still be turning-up unexpectedly for some time to come?

What are the prospects for the future? Are Infrastructure going to utilise any? What about retaining some as heavy shunting locos, which I'd read somewhere last year? Are the ones going into storage to be kept in a near operational condition?

Regards,
Tim.