Ae4/7 10997

Kidger Paul

Seen this morning 17/5/2013 at Mohlin was Ae 4/7 10997. Any idea as to where it was going...hope it wasn't a single journey to Kaiseraugst.
I have 2 photos but I'm not sure how to attach them.
Forgive my ignorance but what is the item looking like a 3rd rail collector shoe between the bogie wheels? Is it a signal actuating magnet?
Paul Kidger

Martin Baumann

10997 is owned by Swisstrain, based at Payerne. The magnet you describe is part of the SIGNUM train protection system. It is the equivalent of a BR AWS magnet.

Kidger Paul

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "martinbaumann112" <martin98baumann@...> wrote:

10997 is owned by Swisstrain, based at Payerne. The magnet you describe is part of the SIGNUM train protection system. It is the equivalent of a BR AWS magnet.
Thanks Martin

My source tells me that one of the wheelsets looked freshly machined, so I presume that it was returning from a maintenance session. However, since Mohlin has probably the last 'refuge siding' before Kaiseraugst, it is always worrying when some item of vintage stock is parked there.

gordonwis

"Paul" <paulkidger@...> wrote:
Seen this morning 17/5/2013 at Mohlin was Ae 4/7 10997. .hope it
wasn't a single journey to Kaiseraugst.
On the contrary it was actually off to do some revenue work. It was seen passing Neuchatel westbound the same morning and returned later running west - east hauling HGK 2051 (185 582) as train 99336L_LTAB (Lausanne Triage A/B) - Basel Bad Bahnhof.

An outlandish thought has crossed my mind that this might be somehow linked to 482 030 falling over at Grosskorbetha, given that last month at Grosskorbetha I saw HGK 185s and SBB 482s in the same short visit!

Kidger Paul

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordonwis@...> wrote:

"Paul" <paulkidger@> wrote:
Seen this morning 17/5/2013 at Mohlin was Ae 4/7 10997. .hope it
wasn't a single journey to Kaiseraugst.
On the contrary it was actually off to do some revenue work.
Thanks.
I'm glad that they can still be called upon to perform mainline tasks.
It is always of concern when stock is parked at Mohlin, especially when just off the Westbound main line, because Kaiseraugst is just down the line.

Paul Kidger