SBB 2014 timetable changes

gordonwis

As Markus states, The 2014 Swiss draft 2014 timetable has been published.

To the best of my ability (I speak good French and German but may have missed a few nuances) I've distilled the main changes

Bad news includes:
Bern - Burgdorf - Olten plastic vice loco hauled
Zürich - Chur regio plastic vice loco hauled
no more extras from Altstetten to the SOB

Link to the actual draft timeteble PDFs:

http://www.fahrplanentwurf.ch/de/fahrplansuche/

Genève- La Plaine – Bellegarde and Genève – Genève Aeroport
Big works in 2014. Single track working with reduced services Genève – Genève
Aeroport 15 July December 2014 and a 35 day total shut down (15 July – 24 August
2014) of Genève – Bellegarde – all linked to the change of voltage (for which
work has already been going for some time – see my pics of November 2012:
TGVs diverted to run via Vallorbe, plus more vague quote: The change of voltage
in August 2014 "will necessitate the use of different rolling stock"

R Lausanne – St-Maurice (trains supplémentaires) – ie non-S-bahn rush hour
extras:
2 x three car Domino units

Biel/Bienne – Sonceboz – La Chaux-de-Fonds/Moutier – Solothurn
GTW units to replace Domino units

Biel – Olten und Oberdorf/Lommiswil/Langendorf
Flirt Regio Olten (vice original NPZ)

701 Baden – Koblenz – Waldshut / Bad Zurzach
Two more trad NPZ replaced by Domino

305/310 TGV Interlaken-Bern-Neuchâtel
International service still being discussed

450 Bern – Olten
RegioExpress Bern – Burgdorf – Olten „Regio-Dosto" units (vice loco hauled 460 +
EWIV)

720 Zürich – Thalwil – Ziegelbrücke/Zug
(due to the lengthy details I machine translated this but have improved it using
my own skills in German to get rid of the sillies (eg to change `train' back to
`Zug' (as in the place) and `brick bridge' back to Ziegelbrücke (!)

Partial opening of Zürich Durchmesserline
S2 and S8 receive new departure times. The trains stop at the new underground
station part of Zurich HB and go from there to Zurich Oerlikon. Both lines no
longer serve Zurich Wipkingen.

The S21 will be replaced by the S24.
The S24 gets new departure times and stops every half hour between Zug and
Zurich Oerlikon via Zurich HB - Zurich Wipkingen.

The S25 (previous GlarnerSprinter) runs every hour from Zurich HB newly stopping
in Wädenswil Pfäffikon, Lachen, Siebnen-Wangen Ziegelbrücke and stopping at all
stations to Linthal.

Following relief trains during rush hours to be dropped: Ziegelbrücke dep 7.05
to Zurich Altstetten, Einsiedeln dep 6.38 and 15.49 to Altstetten Zurich, Zurich
Altstetten dep 8:21 and 17:20
Clock to Einsiedeln and Zurich Altstetten from 17.51 Ziegelbrücke.

Linthal branch
Becomes S6 and S25 instead of plain old Regio
Rollmaterial: S6 Domino, S25 Doppelstockzügen DPZ Zürcher S-Bahn

900 Zürich HB – Ziegelbrücke – Sargans – Chur
Classified RegioExpress Zürich – Chur (vice InterRegio) „Regio-Dosto" (vice
loco hauled) New stops in Siebnen-Wangen and Walenstadt, Bad Ragaz stop omitted.
Also, the new trains WILL ONLY RUN TO Zurich.
Associated amendments to regionals Chur - Sargans with connection half hourly in
Sargans. Will make Maienfeld and Bad Ragaz connections `better'

"Will continue to be offered a Eurocity Hamburg - Cologne - Chur (Chur dep 11.09
northbound arr 16.52 southbound.

From 15 June 2014 Intercity Zurich - Chur to 2 hourly regular interval

850 Zürich HB – Winterthur – St.Gallen
Zürich – St. Gallen – München one extra train pair at weekends

880 St Gallen – Chur
Already Dostos from June 9 2013. Use of the units and three station stops
removed will reduce journey time from 2014 timetable from 94 to 82 min. Service
extended from St Gallen to Wil.

St Gallen and whole north east area:
new S-Bahn St Gallen, full timetable details:
www.sbahn-sg.ch

TILO Ticino
Domino 4 units to supplement Flirts

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordonwis@...> wrote:

As Markus states, The 2014 Swiss draft 2014 timetable has been published.

Following relief trains during rush hours to be dropped: Ziegelbrücke dep 7.05
to Zurich Altstetten, Einsiedeln dep 6.38 and 15.49 to Altstetten Zurich, Zurich
Altstetten dep 8:21 and 17:20
Clock to Einsiedeln and Zurich Altstetten from 17.51 Ziegelbrücke.
Am I right in thinking that this removes the only passenger trains to go direct from the Altstetten direction to Wiedikon avoiding Zurich HB and the only passenger trains to use the lines adjacent to the works?

Cheers

Bruce

Martin Baumann

"Genève – Bellegarde –---The change of voltage
in August 2014 "will necessitate the use of different rolling stock"

Probably 522.2 units which are finally permitted to run in France. The 550 units can't run on 25000v AC

Martin Baumann

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, bs177@... wrote:

Am I right in thinking that this removes the only passenger trains to go direct from the Altstetten direction to Wiedikon avoiding Zurich HB and the only passenger trains to use the lines adjacent to the works?
The answer is yes and no. The last timetabled train to run direct from Altstetten to Wiedikon will be 1751 Altstetten-Ziegelbrücke (18053) on June 13th 2014 according to the current draft. However long distance trains using the "Südeinfahrt" line from Altstetten to Zürich HB will still pass close to the works. The majority of arrivals in Zürich HB from Olten etc run on this line. An arrival at the highest numbered group of platforms is more likely to use the older route passing Hardbrücke station. Although signalled for both directions the "Südeinfahrt" is only very rarely used for outbound passenger trains. (Platform numbers in journey planner)

Martin Baumann

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "martinbaumann112" <martin98baumann@...> wrote:
The answer is yes and no. The last timetabled train to run direct from Altstetten to Wiedikon will be 1751 Altstetten-Ziegelbrücke (18053) on June 13th 2014 according to the current draft. However long distance trains using the "Südeinfahrt" line from Altstetten to Zürich HB will still pass close to the works. The majority of arrivals in Zürich HB from Olten etc run on this line. An arrival at the highest numbered group of platforms is more likely to use the older route passing Hardbrücke station. Although signalled for both directions the "Südeinfahrt" is only very rarely used for outbound passenger trains. (Platform numbers in journey planner)

Martin Baumann
Thanks Martin,

I think a case of closure by stealth as these trains were very difficult to find details for as although they appear in Bahn.de, the Swiss journey planner does not show them nor do the on-line station departure sheets. I cannot recall seeing any trains on these lines other than freight but perhaps the peaks might be a better time to look.

I could see on my last visit that the small works traktors were sometimes visible from these lines but was not in the right places or times to travel on them so I suspect a visit prior to the change is on the cards!

Cheers

Bruce

Max Wyss

I think a case of closure by stealth as these trains were very
difficult to find
details for as although they appear in Bahn.de, the Swiss journey planner
does
not show them nor do the on-line station departure sheets. I cannot recall
seeing
any trains on these lines other than freight but perhaps the peaks might be
better time to look.
One hint for the trains passing close to the works would be the departure
tables for Zürich Altstetten, and then you look for trains departing from
track 2. This track is normally not used for the "regular" trains to/from
Hardbrücke.

Max.

OL.Guerbetal

Am 31.05.2013 18:09, schrieb bs177@ggbooks.plus.com:
I think a case of closure by stealth as these trains were very
difficult to find details for as although they appear in Bahn.de, the
Swiss journey planner does not show them nor do the on-line station
departure sheets.
What do you count as "Swiss journey planner"? I know several of them.

Bahn.de doesn't have any information which is not available on Swiss online systems.

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Guerbetaler <muesche2-swissrail@...> wrote:
What do you count as "Swiss journey planner"? I know several of them.

Bahn.de doesn't have any information which is not available on Swiss
online systems.
I mean the one on www.SBB.ch. In any case, I am aware of those trains which arrive at platform 2 at Altstetten and will try and ride one of them before June 2014. I still need to get a handle on low numbered platform arrivals from the Olten Direction - I had counted on looking for arrivals at platforms 51 to 54 but could not find any.

I am not quite sure which bits of the Durchmesselinie will help me or which bits will open in 2014 - I am looking for views of the East side of the works adjacent to the main line. I had previously assumed that the works was on the East Side of the approaches to the HbF just south of the viaduct to the Hbf end of Hardbrucke but on my recent visit came to the conclusion that it was the large complex to the West side of the line after walking up the road towards Altstetten where incidentally most of the local traktors live.

cheers

bruce

OL.Guerbetal

Am 01.06.2013 15:11, schrieb bs177@ggbooks.plus.com:
I mean the one on www.SBB.ch. In any case, I am aware of those
trains which arrive at platform 2 at Altstetten and will try and ride
one of them before June 2014.
I have no problems producing these trains on www.sbb.ch ! ?? How did you
search?

I still need to get a handle on low numbered platform arrivals from
the Olten Direction - I had counted on looking for arrivals at
platforms 51 to 54 but could not find any.
Track 51�54 are only used for trains coming from/going to Thalwil.

It isn't a rare thing that I travel Bern�Z�rich and I have never entered
Z�rich HB on the Hardbr�cke track since the new Southern track
<http://map.geo.admin.ch/?crosshair=bowl&Y=680386.5&X=249117.5&zoom=8&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&time_current=latest&lang=de>
with two tunnels is in use.

I am not quite sure which bits of the Durchmesselinie will help me or
which bits will open in 2014
Mid-2014 the Wiedikon entry will open, the Altstetten entry will only open by Dec 2015.

- I am looking for views of the Eastside of the works adjacent to the
main line. I had previously assumed that the works was on the East
Side of the approaches to the HbF just south of the viaduct to the
Hbf end of Hardbrucke but on my recent visit came to the conclusion
that it was the large complex to the West side of the line after
walking up the road towards Altstetten where incidentally most of the
local traktors live.
see link above

Markus, G�rbetal

Martin Baumann

Platforms 51 to 54 can only be used by trains to or from Enge/Wiedikon, the Thalwil tunnel or the line to Oerlikon via Wipkingen. If you want to do that part of the station loco hauled there are three peak hour Luzern trains with Re 4/4 II in each direction.

A little of the works can be seen from trolleybus route 31. Travel on the right hand side of the vehicle when heading towards Altstetten/Schlieren. Occaisionally locos will be parked beside the road and you can see through some of the windows of the works. There are numerous stops in the area and a trolleybus every 7.5 minutes. (Mostly the new double articulated ones)

Martin Baumann

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "martinbaumann112" <martin98baumann@...> wrote:

A little of the works can be seen from trolleybus route 31. Travel on the right hand side of the vehicle when heading towards Altstetten/Schlieren. Occaisionally locos will be parked beside the road and you can see through some of the windows of the works. There are numerous stops in the area and a trolleybus every 7.5 minutes. (Mostly the new double articulated ones)

Thank you Martin and Markus,

I was staying locally and walked along the side of the works so know the road you are referring to.

I am currently studying the ramifications of the Durchmesselinie and one article I have read suggests that platforms 51 - 54 are only temporary and "will be abandoned".

Other parts of the article suggest that long distance trains from the Oerlikon direction that currently reverse in Zurich HBf (and vv) will be diverted to Lowenstrasse so I assume that the platforms freed up will still give any extra capacity needed for future traffic growth and the Sihlquai platforms will be built on so any opportunity to use these platforms for main line services will be lost.

Cheers

Bruce

Martin Baumann

Platforms 51-54 will be closed on 14.06.2014. Long distance trains from the west that continue to Flughafen-Winterthur etc will use the Durchmesserlinie from December 2015. It will take this long to complete the viaduct which will carry (only) westbound trains from the Durchmesserlinie. Eastbound trains will use the Südeinfahrt and then join the DML

SBB page in English:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/corporation/the-company/projects/upgrading-the-rail-network/zurich-cross-city-link.html

and German:

http://www.sbb.ch/sbb-konzern/ueber-die-sbb/projekte/ausbau-schienennetz/dml.html

OL.Guerbetal

Am 01.06.2013 21:57, schrieb bs177@ggbooks.plus.com:
I am currently studying the ramifications of the Durchmesselinie and
one article I have read suggests that platforms 51 - 54 are only
temporary and "will be abandoned".
Durchmesserlinie can only be finished after the removal of tracks 51�54.

Other parts of the article suggest that long distance trains from the
Oerlikon direction that currently reverse in Zurich HBf (and vv) will
be diverted to Lowenstrasse so I assume that the platforms freed up
will still give any extra capacity needed for future traffic growth
and the Sihlquai platforms will be built on so any opportunity to use
these platforms for main line services will be lost.
What do you mean by L�wenstrasse and Sihlquai???

To put it simple:
SZU underground station are tracks 1�2
SBB old Z�rich HB are tracks 3�18
New Durchmesserlinie underground station will be tracks 31�34
Underground station alongside Museumstrasse, originally tracks 21�24, are now tracks 41�44

Long distance trains (300�400m) can use tracks 3�18 and 31�34. It is planned that trains from Bern to St. Gallen will use tracks 31�34. But this will only be possible after the opening of the Altstetten entry by the end of 2015.

Markus, G�rbetal

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "martinbaumann112" <martin98baumann@...> wrote:
Eastbound trains will use the Südeinfahrt and then join the DML
Thanks Martin but can you clarify "Südeinfahrt"

SBB page in English:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/corporation/the-company/projects/upgrading-the-rail-network/zurich-cross-city-link.html
I was reading this before I posted but it does not give enough detail for my purposes.

A decent track plan before and after might help.

I am also aware that there are plans for opening up the Limmatt Corridor but was unclear if this was to be tram, heavy or light rail.

Cheers

bruce

Martin Baumann

Durchmesserlinie can only be finished after the removal of tracks 51–54.
That is the bit I don't understand. The tunnel mouth is before platforms 51-54 so what are these platforms in the way of?

OL.Guerbetal

Am 01.06.2013 23:05, schrieb bs177@ggbooks.plus.com:
A decent track plan before and after might help.
Go to the German page
<http://www.sbb.ch/sbb-konzern/ueber-die-sbb/projekte/ausbau-schienennetz/dml/projekt/bauarbeiten/brueckenbauwerke.html>
Then download Bauzeit-�bersicht Kohlendreieckbr�cke 702 kB, it is a PDF

Markus, G�rbetal

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Guerbetaler <muesche2-swissrail@...> wrote:
Then download Bauzeit-Übersicht Kohlendreieckbrücke 702 kB, it is a PDF

Markus, Gürbetal
Thank you, does seem that nothing is removed so like Martin, I am unclear as to why the Durchmesse line (from Bahnhof Lowenstrasse as described in some publications) cannot open with 51-4 (Referred in some publications as Sihlquai) still in use.

Cheers

bruce

Martin Baumann

Südeinfahrt is the route which diverges just after Altstetten, runs down a ramp into a tunnel and then passes between the carriage sidings (left) and the works (right) It then descends into another tunnel and curves under the tracks from Thalwil and Oerlikon

Despite the different alignment the distance from Altstetten to Zürich HB is the same by this route as via Hardbrücke. (Given in Bahnprofil Schweiz and found to be correct with measuring software)

Chris Wood

"martinbaumann112" wrote:

That is the bit I don't understand. The tunnel mouth is before
platforms 51-54 so what are these platforms in the way of?
I think that the main thing they are in the way of is a major urban redevelopment program. Certainly last year that part of the station was decorated with large posters illustrating the new streets and buildings that were to be created on the site of platforms 51-54.

Chris Wood

"martinbaumann112" wrote:

Platforms 51-54 will be closed on 14.06.2014. Long distance trains
from the west that continue to Flughafen-Winterthur etc will use the
Durchmesserlinie from December 2015.
Assuming that by 'from the west' you mean via Altstetten, then most of these trains currently reverse in the main section of Hauptbahnhof (tracks 3-18).

However the obvious exception is an hourly InterRegio between Basle and Zurich Airport that avoids Hauptbahnhof altogether, running via the direct link from Altsetetten to the Käferberg tunnel. I think these are the only passenger trains to use that link.

I guess these will either be dropped or rerouted via Hauptbahnhof come 2016.