Wipkingen line and the Durchmesserlinie

Chris Wood

The recent discussion on Zurich Hauptbahnhof platforms 51-54 caused me to take a closer look at the station approaches on Google Maps, and raised a question as to what usage the Wipkingen line will see once the Durchmesserlinie is fully open.

As best I can see from Google, there is no route from Wipkingen into the existing S-Bahn tunnel. Platforms 51-54 will be gone, so trains from Wipkingen cannot go there. There may or may not be a route into the new Durchmesserlinie tunnel, but even if there is a routing from Oerlikon to Oerlikon doesn't seem very useful. That just leaves terminating or reversing in the main line surface platforms.

At present all the regular S-Bahn services that currently serve Wipkingen (S2/S8/S14) reverse in surface platforms before continuing to Wiedikon. But reversing trains seems contrary to the concept of the Durchmesserlinie, and I assume these trains will run from Oerlikon via the Durchmesserlinie. And it seems that the through long-distance trains will do likewise.

Which doesn't leave much to run down the Wipkingen line, or to serve Wipkingen station. Does anybody know what the plans are for this line.

Martin Baumann

Wipkingen will be served by the S24 which will run Oerlikon-Horgen Oberdorf via reversal in Zürich HB

Provisional timetable: http://www.fahrplanentwurf.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf/2014/800_S24.pdf

There will probably be crossovers enabling a routing from the new underground platforms to the Wipkingen line but there are no scheduled movements doing this. I expect this is to minimise conflicting moves. Crossovers exist to do most movements at Zürich but not all are scheduled for use. For instance you can go from platform 17 to the lines towards Thalwil but would block the entire station doing such a move

Martin Baumann

Chris Wood

"martinbaumann112" <martin98baumann@...> wrote:

Wipkingen will be served by the S24 which will run Oerlikon-Horgen
Oberdorf via reversal in Zürich HB
Thanks for that. But IMHO two trains per hour doesn't seem too appealing for an inner-city station, especially one in a city also served by ZVV's dense network.

Looking at current timetables, it seems that the only regular long distance trains that run via Oerlikon and terminate in Zurich are those from Stuttgart. All the other long distance services through Oerliken reverse and continue at Hauptbahnhof, and can therefore be expected to use the new underground route.

So the line is likely to end up with about 3 trains per hour per direction. Again rather sparse for what was once a busy main line. And there are alternative routes. I guess anywhere else but Switzerland, we might be worrying about a closure proposal.

There will probably be crossovers enabling a routing from the new
underground platforms to the Wipkingen line but there are no
scheduled movements doing this. I expect this is to minimise
conflicting moves.
There is no obvious huge conflict, as both the Wipkingen line and the
Durchmesserlinie accesses are on the same (southern) side of the station. Although there may be more local conflicts that are not currently clear.

I'd imagine that the lack of scheduled movements is more due to the lack of traffic wanting to do an excursion from Oerlikon to Oerlikon via Hauptbahnhof and a lot of tunnel. :-)

Although to be fair, such a link could be used as a large turning loop, if required.

Andrew Moglestue

I don't believe the Wipkingen line is treated with much priority. There are still sections of jointed track on the viaduct. and Wipkingen station istelf seems to have been passed over as far as refurbishments are concerned. I still see a fair number of people using the station, but for many people a walk or bus ride to Hardbrücke may be more meaningful. The line is not really of much use for freight either, as I believe you cannot run through to anywhere without reversing.

I don't think this line will be a candidate for closure however. The approaches into HB have been rebuilt in recent years, with the old bridge across the tracks being replaced by a modern one. And who knows, as S-Bahn traffic grows further, addirional servives may start using this line again.

Max Wyss

Wipkingen will be served by the S24 which will run Oerlikon-Horgen
Oberdorf via reversal in Zürich HB
Thanks for that. But IMHO two trains per hour doesn't seem too appealing
for an inner-city station, especially one in a city also served by ZVV's
dense network.
Don't forget that the bus line 46 (running every 7.5 minute or even more
frequently) has a stop in the vincinity of the train station, and there are
more important local network stops nearby. That's why this 30 minutes
service is kind of tolerable (the direct connection to the airport was
however quite convenient).

Looking at current timetables, it seems that the only regular long distance
trains that run via Oerlikon and terminate in Zurich are those from
Stuttgart. All the other long distance services through Oerliken reverse
and continue at Hauptbahnhof, and can therefore be expected to use the new
underground route.

So the line is likely to end up with about 3 trains per hour per
direction. Again rather sparse for what was once a busy main line. And
there are alternative routes. I guess anywhere else but Switzerland, we
might be worrying about a closure proposal.
From what I read, they will still reverse long distance trains passing
through Oerlikon in the main hall. Keep in mind that with the reversing, it
is possible to maintain the connection node, as we have it now. Any line
running through will no longer be full part of the connection node.

Max.

Chris Wood

Max Wyss wrote:

From what I read, they will still reverse long distance trains
passing through Oerlikon in the main hall. Keep in mind that with
the reversing, it is possible to maintain the connection node, as we
have it now. Any line running through will no longer be full part of
the connection node.
That is a different picture to what I've understood from previous posts here. I was almost imagining a main hall where the main users would be TGVs, ICEs, RailJets, CNLs and other assorted international trains, with most of the domestic long distance traffic going down the tunnel.

I don't really see why trains stopping in the Durchmesserlinie platforms will be any less in the connection node than those in the main hall. They will presumably be pretty well underneath the main hall, and connected to the same pedestrian passages, so the walking distances shouldn't be much different. And, from bitter personal experience, a lot less than an interchange involving one of the existing platforms 51-54.

OL.Guerbetal

Am 06.06.2013 16:23, schrieb Chris:
I don't really see why trains stopping in the Durchmesserlinie
platforms will be any less in the connection node than those in the
main hall.
Because being in the connection node means
- to bring in passengers for connecting trains, at least 7 min before these trains leave the station
- to pick up passengers from connecting trains, at least 7 min after these trains have arrived at the station

This system allows for one or two trains to stop less than 7 min. But the idea of the underground station was that trains leave again as fast as possible.

Do you understand the dilemma?

Markus, G�rbetal

George Raymond

Given the Wipkingen route's strategic place in the heart of the network, I
can imagine SBB is glad to maintain it for detours during works and
emergencies.

George

OL.Guerbetal

Am 06.06.2013 12:36, schrieb Max Wyss:
Don't forget that the bus line 46 (running every 7.5 minute or even more
frequently) has a stop in the vincinity of the train station, and there are
more important local network stops nearby. That's why this 30 minutes
service is kind of tolerable (the direct connection to the airport was
however quite convenient).
Why "was"? Rather "will be"! S24 will be
(Zug � Thalwil �) Z�rich HB � Wipkingen - Oerlikon � Flughafen � Effretikon � Winterthur (� Schaffhausen/Weinfelden)

Markus, G�rbetal

Max Wyss

OK, I have been away from Zrich for too long <g>. I was a bit short, and
did not mention the S2; and somehow got the S24 to operate only between Zug
and Oerlikon shame on me for that.

Max.