Loco-hauled Gotthard EC services

timngoodwin

Are there currently any timetabled loco-hauled Zurich-Milan EC services? A quick look at the SBB timetable highlights two services that are booked to take 4:11 vs. the usual 3:41 shown for most services. These are EC114 (dep. Milan 09:10) and presumably the return service EC113 (dep. Zurich 17:09). Is the extra 30mins to allow for a loco change in Chiasso?

Kind Regards,
Tim.

Heléna Moretti

Are there currently any timetabled loco-hauled Zurich-Milan EC services? A quick look at the SBB timetable highlights two services that are booked to take 4:11 vs. the usual 3:41 shown for most services. These are EC114 (dep. Milan 09:10) and presumably the return service EC113 (dep. Zurich 17:09). Is the extra 30mins to allow for a loco change in Chiasso?

Kind Regards,
Tim.

Hi Tim,

Yes these are booked Re4/4 II from Chiasso to Zurich along with EC153 07:47 Luzern-Milano and EC158 return (14:10 off Milano Centrale).

gordonwis

Have a hunt around for train formations on Reisezuege.ch

train 114 =

http://www.reisezuege.ch/reisezuege/index.php?action=5&znummer=114

timngoodwin

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Wiseman <gordonwis@...> wrote:
Have a hunt around for train formations on Reisezuege.ch

train 114 =
http://www.reisezuege.ch/reisezuege/index.php?action=5&znummer=114
Thanks very much both of you. I was unaware of the service from Luzern. This is perfect as it follows the southbound IR service, which I will catch from Erstfeld to Bellinzona and then change to the EC running 10 minutes behind it, to continue to Milan.

There is only a 10 minute wait at Chiasso on this service for the loco change. Is it possible to purchase an onward ticket from Chiasso to Milan onboard the train, or will I have to rush out at Chiasso and purchase one? I will be travelling on a Swiss Pass within Switzerland.

Regards,
Tim.

Nick Raven <Nightrocker79@...>

Tim, if you know your date of travel in advance could you not purchase a ticket from Chiasso to Milano online in advance on the Trenitalia website?

www.trenitalia.com/

Nick

Krist van Besien

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM, timngoodwin <timngoodwin@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

There is only a 10 minute wait at Chiasso on this service for the loco
change. Is it possible to purchase an onward ticket from Chiasso to Milan
onboard the train, or will I have to rush out at Chiasso and purchase one?
I will be travelling on a Swiss Pass within Switzerland.

You can buy a Chiasso - Milano ticket at most manned railway stations in
Switzerland. So you could just buy it at a convenient time in advance.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

tudor erich

You can buy a Chiasso - Milano ticket at most manned railway
stations in Switzerland. So you could just buy it at a convenient
time in advance.
Krist
Can you advise how much a first class ticket Chiasso - Milan return via Brig is please?

Bernard

Chris Wood

But make sure you get the correct ticket. At least some of the Chiasso to Milan tickets sold by the SBB are for use on local services only (Chiasso is the terminus of one of Milan's "S-Bahn" lines), and would not be valid on your Eurocity.

That limitation is certainly true of the tickets sold from SBB ticket machines in the Lugano area. Not sure if the same applies to tickets sold from ticket offices, but worth checking.

timngoodwin

Thanks again for your help. The slight complication is that I will leave it until the evening before, when I've seen the weather forecast to decide what to do the following day and alter my plans accordingly.

Do the automated ticket machines allow you to purchase international tickets and accompanying reservation? I will be staying in Erstfeld and there is no manned booking office, so would require a short trip down to Fluelen, if I was to buy one in advance from a booking office.

Regards,
Tim.

csipromo

If you go on sbb.ch you can select Chiasso to Milano Centrale. Select trains that have the notation IC or EC (Intercity or Eurocity) and avoid ones noted RE. It will also show you whether it is a direct train or not (most direct trains will only stop in Como). You can also book the return via Domodossola/Brig on the site.

Chiasso-Zürich-Bern-Brig-Milano C first class return is SFR 305.00 full price according to www.sbb.ch

tudor erich

From: martinbaumann112 <martin98baumann@outlook.com>
Chiasso-Zürich-Bern-Brig-Milano C first class return is SFR 305.00
full price according to www.sbb.ch
If I already have a Swiss Pass how much is it to go Chiasso - Milan and Milan- Brig first class?

Many thanks,

Bernard

Martin Baumann

Chiasso - Milan SFR 21.00 by EC

and Milan- Brig

By EC SFR 36.00 to Domodossola. Swiss Pass valid from there to Brig

EC trains are compulsory reservation in Italy

OL.Guerbetal

Am 17.06.2013 21:19, schrieb tudoryork:
If I already have a Swiss Pass how much is it to go Chiasso - Milan
and Milan- Brig first class?
According to Trenitalia site the normal price for two adults 1st class for EC 13/52

Chiasso - Milano is EUR 34.00, ECONOMY (prebooked train) is EUR 28.00

Milano - Domodossola is EUR 58.00, ECONOMY is EUR 42.00

For Suburbano and Regionale only 2nd class is available. A ticket for two for whole journey only cost EUR 25.00

Markus, G�rbetal

tudor erich

Very many thanks,

Bernard

tudor erich

Thank you very much,

Bernard

markyboyellis <markyboyellis@...>

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, Guerbetaler <muesche2-swissrail@...> wrote:

According to Trenitalia site the normal price for two adults 1st class
for EC 13/52

Chiasso - Milano is EUR 34.00, ECONOMY (prebooked train) is EUR 28.00

Milano - Domodossola is EUR 58.00, ECONOMY is EUR 42.00

For Suburbano and Regionale only 2nd class is available. A ticket for
two for whole journey only cost EUR 25.00

While on the subject of Chiasso, I'm visiting Lugano in August and had thought about filming trains at Chiasso. I've been told that it is difficult to film freight there due to the layout of the yards.Has anybody attempted photography or filming there. Any advice would be useful.
Thanks in anticipation
Mark Ellis

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "markyboyellis" <markyboyellis@...> wrote:
While on the subject of Chiasso, I'm visiting Lugano in August and
had thought about filming trains at Chiasso. I've been told that it
is difficult to film freight there due to the layout of the yards.Has
anybody attempted photography or filming there. Any advice would be
useful.
Thanks in anticipation
Mark Ellis
Although I went there on a Sunday when no trains were running due to engineering works in the tunnel on the connecting line from the yards North to Bellinzona, can I suggest that you catch a Flirt S10 and get off at Balerna. Best to look at it via Google Earth. Exit the station to the West of the line via the subway and turn left and go down the hill keeping the main line to your left. Go under the motorway and turn right and follow this road to the overbridge. There is another overbridge further round the balloon loop but I did not venture that far as I had already had two drenchings that day! The station is no good as the freights veer off to the back of the yard. Turn left instead of right and follow the road round, then right into the industrial estate and down to the Traktor depot.

Cheers

Bruce

timngoodwin

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, bs177@... wrote:

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "markyboyellis" <markyboyellis@> wrote:
While on the subject of Chiasso, I'm visiting Lugano in August and
had thought about filming trains at Chiasso. I've been told that it
is difficult to film freight there due to the layout of the yards.Has
anybody attempted photography or filming there. Any advice would be
useful.
Thanks in anticipation
Mark Ellis
I was at the southern end of the island platform last year and it is very good for watching everything coming in and out of the yard and station to/from Italy. The problem from a photography point of view is that you are shooting into the sun for the majority of the day. Nonetheless, I would it's worth spending an hour or two in Chiasso, as you get all sorts of locos not routinely found elsewhere in Switzerland, such as the SBB Re474s, Am840s, and also unusual ones from Italian private operators, as well as FS.

Tim.

bs177@...

I was at the southern end of the island platform last year and it is very good for watching everything coming in and out of the yard and station to/from Italy. The problem from a photography point of view is that you are shooting into the sun for the majority of the day. Nonetheless, I would it's worth spending an hour or two in Chiasso, as you get all sorts of locos not routinely found elsewhere in Switzerland, such as the SBB Re474s, Am840s, and also unusual ones from Italian private operators, as well as FS.

Tim.
I wondered about standing there as it is technically in Italy and might arouse suspicion if you walk between there and the Swiss part on a regular basis. Also the 840's are withdrawn and sold to Stauffer but at the end of April were dumped in a line on the depot.

Cheers

Bruce