Location ID Query

Don

Can anyone ID the location of this image, please. I don't think it is Oensingen but greater minds than mine, as they say.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/9128244225/

Thanks in anticipation.

Don

OL.Guerbetal

Am 25.06.2013 18:54, schrieb Don:
Can anyone ID the location of this image, please. I don't think it is
Oensingen but greater minds than mine, as they say.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/9128244225/
I can't really read the destination plate. But I assume it reads "Badezug Zurzach". Drivers called this train "F�dliw�scherexpress" eeeeehm, if you really want me to translate this - but be warned! - it says "butt washer express" ;-)

This train Z�rich - Zurzach, that allowed the visit of the spa in Zurzach, was the last regular use of red arrows. The Badezug left Z�rich HB around 8 o'clock and 1 o'clock and was back before noon and around 5 o'clock. It stopped in Wipkingen, Oerlikon, B�lach and Eglisau.

But now, where the photo was taken ... I don't know.

Markus, G�rbetal

David Adams

Don,

I was at Oensingen on 15/6 and cannot identify with the building in the picture. But things may have been much different some years ago, the "main line" is curving the right way and the trackwork in the foreground is not out of place before the ASm arrived.

I have just found out where Felsberg is while looking for private sidings near Domat Ems on an aerial map!

David

Martin Baumann

Track layout plus "Badezug Zurzach" suggest the location could be EGLISAU

Duncan Cotterill

On 26 Jun 2013, at 13:00, "martinbaumann112" wrote:
Track layout plus "Badezug Zurzach" suggest the location could be
EGLISAU
It's definitely not Eglisau. There are no buildings on the inside of the curve at the east end, just a steep wooded hill, and the land drops away inside the curve at the west end. The direction of curvature is wrong anyway, considering the location of the pointwork.

Duncan

Max Wyss

It could be Oberglatt (keep in mind that this photograph is at least 40
years old). Another possibility might be Niederglatt.

Max.

Martin Baumann

Examining Oberglatt on google maps I would say that is the likely location. The house just in front of the railcar seems to be still there, now almost surrounded by trees. When Oberglatt-Niederglatt was doubled in 1983 the junction was moved north and the curve eased so the track will be totally different when the picture was taken.

1007 was withdrawn by SBB on 31.01.1974 so that helps to date the picture. I would rule out Niederglatt, the curve is not right for there