Trams diverted away from Basel SBB

Martin Baumann

From July 1st to 31st Basel tram lines 1 8 10 11 will be diverted and not run via Basel SBB.

See http://tinyurl.com/nlyhafp

Simon

Surprised big diversions like these haven't happen more often in the last
few years.

Basel is currently attempting to break the world record for the most number
of roads being dug up in the city, at the same time. This attempt is running
concurrently with another attempt to spend as long as possible not filling
in the holes generated by the other record attempt.

They have been replacing the water pipes in the road outside my apartment
for TWO YEARS; and they haven't finished yet !!

I could have done the job, on my own, with a wobbly plastic spoon faster
than the army of orange jacket wearing slackers who stroll around all day
playing with the diggers/rollers/dumpers etc.

<rant over>

Kidger Paul

Thanks Martin
I guess that this is going to cause major disruption hence the decision to undertake the work in the holiday month. Sorry I cannot read the German (not having the grandchildren here at the moment), but I presume that there is going to be major track renewals. Eldest granddaughter has a choice of activities over the summer holidays and one such activity is a day at the Basel Tram garage. I have suggested she applies for it and asks to take me along as well, purely to carry her lunchbox. She refuses and instead want to spend a day at the local bakery or doing pottery.

Paul Kidger

Kidger Paul

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Cuddeford &#92;(CH&#92;)" <simon.cuddeford@...> wrote:

Surprised big diversions like these haven't happen more often in the last
few years.
Simon

My sympathies for your long suffering. Projects in Switzerland in general do seem to take a long time.
What work is being undertaken to the tram tracks to cause such a disruption? I presume that it is major track renewals but I see that lines 1 & 2 will continue to run. So maybe a single line operation will be in force.

Paul Kidger

George Raymond

What work is being undertaken to the tram tracks to cause such a
disruption?

A central part of the work is to replace the tram rails that exit
Aeschengraben, cross Nauenstrasse and enter the tram station in front of
Basel SBB railway station in Centralbahnplatz and vice versa. According to
the BVB press release, in the last 10 years an estimated 147 million street
vehicles and 1.44 million trams have rolled over these rails in
Nauenstrasse.

George