Mystery Swiss Diesel Switcher 1986

talltim10

Can anyone identify this loco? http://www.flickr.com/photos/bevis_king/6292675956/
(Not my photo)

Tim David

Martin Baumann

By enlarging the picture you can make out a RUSTON plate on the end of the loco but I could not definitely id it as one of the ones in "Industrial Locomotives of Switzerland". None of the Rustons listed there are numbered 1

Stefan Unholz

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "martinbaumann112" <martin98baumann@...> wrote:

By enlarging the picture you can make out a RUSTON plate on the end of the loco but I
could not definitely id it as one of the ones in "Industrial Locomotives of Switzerland".
It could be this one since a) Ruston industrial locos were very scarce in Switzerland and b) it did operate in Western Switzerland at that time:

<http://www.sgeg.ch/index.php?id=67&filename=ruston_497744.xml>

Regards, Stefan

Martin Baumann

I think the orange loco on the picture that started the thread is actually Ruston 497743 I missed the footnote in I.L.O.S saying that St Triphon Refinery 1 was renumbered to 4 II in 1994

They got four locos new in 1963. Ruston 497743 to 499746:

1 renumbered 4 II 1994 stopped 2004 scrapped 2006
3 stopped 2004 scrapped 2006
4 1995 to Rive Blue Bouveret, 1998 to Arnold Fluelen. I beleive this loco is still dumped at Fluelen station

The Bahnarchiv.net page has the wrong works number on the page mentioned by Stefan.

(Ruston info from the late Richard Bowen's excellent lists)

Martin Baumann

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "martinbaumann112" <martin98baumann@...> wrote:
. I believe this loco is still dumped at Fluelen station

It certainly was on 12 October last year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40826712@N00/8063801322

saranac.tv@att.net <saranac.tv@...>

In the same vein, could someone identify the yellow loco backing up the red Re?

http://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a121221082021220

It reminds me of a North American SW-1 ... except it would be the wrong continent and the wrong gauge ...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "talltim10" <talltim@...> wrote:

Can anyone identify this loco? http://www.flickr.com/photos/bevis_king/6292675956/
(Not my photo)

Tim David

Guerbetaler

Am 14.07.2013 14:57, schrieb saranac.tv@att.net:
In the same vein, could someone identify the yellow loco backing up
the red Re?
<http://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a121221082021220>
If you allow the Re to be a Ge, then the yellow unit behind would be a
Gmf 4/4, either 242 or 243. All RhB vehicles for permanent way are yellow

<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RhB_Gmf_4/4>

It reminds me of a North American SW-1 ... except it would be the
wrong continent and the wrong gauge ...
Some things of railways look the same everywhere...

Markus

Manfred Luckmann

Am 14.07.2013 14:57, schrieb saranac.tv@att.net:
In the same vein, could someone identify the yellow loco backing up the red Re?

http://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a121221082021220
http://www.haribu.ch/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=1206
or
http://www.haribu.ch/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=1207

btw: the red one is a Ge 4/4

Manfred

redfootny

Interesting: What is a Maintenace loco doing in the middle of a Revenue consit - or - Why is a Revenue loco being used to rescue a dead work train?

bs177@...

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "redfootny" <saranac.tv@...> wrote:

Interesting: What is a Maintenace loco doing in the middle of a Revenue consit - or - Why is a Revenue loco being used to rescue a dead work train?
This is a regular occurance, 242 and 243 and many other traktors are hauled under the wires, why waste expensive diesel and precious paths if there are other trains which can "give a lift".

This is not confined to the RhB, SBB freights regularly haul traktors and Am841/843 around the system either on transfer between locations or to carry out shunting operations at remote locations where sidings are not electrified.

Perhaps there are people on here who know whether a separate driver is carried to drive the traktor in such instances or if the same driver gets off the electric loco and drives the shunter.

Cheers

Bruce

Rob

--- In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, "saranac.tv@..." <saranac.tv@...> wrote:

In the same vein, could someone identify the yellow loco backing up the red Re?

http://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a121221082021220

It reminds me of a North American SW-1 ... except it would be the wrong continent and the wrong gauge ...
Is that not one of Gmf 4/4 242 or 243?

<http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ch/narrow_gauge/RhB/diesel/Gm4_4/pix.html>

Robert
London

Guerbetaler

Am 15.07.2013 19:35, schrieb robvulpes:
Is that not one of Gmf 4/4 242 or 243?
You are absolutely correct, but not really the first one to propose this answer :-)

Am 15.07.2013 19:23, schrieb bs177@ggbooks.plus.com:
Perhaps there are people on here who know whether a separate driver
is carried to drive the traktor in such instances or if the same
driver gets off the electric loco and drives the shunter.
If a tractor is brought with a train to shunt not electrified sidings, it will normally be the driver of the local freight at the controls. However, this has become a rare case as most such movements are now made with Am 841/843 or the new Eem 923.

If the loco is from the Infrastructure department (permanent way) the locomotive will just be dropped at the destination like any wagon and later be picked up by an Infrastructure driver.

Markus, up North