Luzern restaurants

Des Von Devon

Markus wrote: "worst" is correct. SBB is going to put its ticket sale up there. ...

Des: I told my Mother who has also used the restaurant many times (despite having zero interest in railways), her response was "How ridiculous!  Wrong place for a ticket office. Restaurant always had lots of custom as well, can't understand that".  While I have zero experience in railway station planning, I would have thought a ticket office optimal location to be between the main entrance and the platforms.  Having a significant amount of people (certainly more people use the ticket office than use the restaurants) having to negotiate the escalators to the top floor is far from customer friendly.   I would imagine this move is driven by retail rental space yields.

__._,_

George Raymond

Markus wrote: "worst" is correct. SBB is going to put its ticket sale up there. ...
Des: I told my Mother who has also used the restaurant many times (despite
having zero interest in railways), her response was "How ridiculous! Wrong place
for a ticket office. Restaurant always had lots of custom as well, can't
understand that". While I have zero experience in railway station planning,
I would have thought a ticket office optimal location to be between the main
entrance and the platforms. Having a significant amount of people (certainly
more people use the ticket office than use the restaurants) having to negotiate
the escalators to the top floor is far from customer friendly. I would imagine
this move is driven by retail rental space yields.
Bern's ticket office is already upstairs. The ticket office is nowadays more for occasional or international trips. The vast majority of riders have passes or get their tickets from the machines downstairs. Of course nobody likes to go upstairs. But I share your suspicion that SBB sees more value in renting ground-level space to retailers.

George

gordonwis

Sad news.

I only recently (July 2013) used the restaurant for the first time when staying at Ibis Kriens. It was a lovely traditional railway station experience - witha refreshing beer and a sit down after a hard day's gricing!

Tim Johnson

Gricing, wow word of the day! That's the first time I'd encountered that work, and had to look it up. I believe the closest American expressing would be rail-fanning.
--
Tim
Timothy A Johnson, Tucson, AZ (www.sbb-bls-bahnen.com)
European Train Enthusiasts, Central Arizona Chapter (www.ete.org) ---In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, <gordonwis@...> wrote :

Sad news.

...with a refreshing beer and a sit down after a hard day's gricing!

Richard L. Anglin

What a fabulous word! Perhaps we should have t-shirts made ... gircers.

Rick Anglin
Southern California European Train Enthusiasts (ETE)

_____

Gricing, wow word of the day! That's the first time I'd encountered that
work, and had to look it up. I believe the closest American expressing would
be rail-fanning.
--
Tim
Timothy A Johnson, Tucson, AZ (www.sbb-bls-bahnen.com)
European Train Enthusiasts, Central Arizona Chapter (www.ete.org) ---In
SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, <gordonwis@...> wrote :

Sad news.

...with a refreshing beer and a sit down after a hard day's gricing!

OL.Guerbetal

Am 02.06.2014 22:17, schrieb 'Richard L. Anglin':
What a fabulous word! Perhaps we should have t-shirts made ... gircers.
even more fabulous and of a remarkable sound if spelled corrrectly
;-)

Gricing, wow word of the day! That's the first time I'd encountered that
work, and had to look it up. I believe the closest American expressing would
be rail-fanning.
As I always say: on SwissRail you can learn English. It's true, I wouldn't know this word if I wasn't a member of SwissRail. On the other hand, I wouldn't need to know, what it means, if I wasn't a member of SwissRail...
:-)

Markus, G�rbetal

Roger Graham

Am 02.06.2014 22:17, schrieb 'Richard L. Anglin':
What a fabulous word! Perhaps we should have t-shirts made ... gircers.
even more fabulous and of a remarkable sound if spelled corrrectly
;-)

Gricing, wow word of the day! That's the first time I'd encountered that
work, and had to look it up. I believe the closest American expressing would
be rail-fanning.
As I always say: on SwissRail you can learn English. It's true, I
wouldn't know this word if I wasn't a member of SwissRail. On the other
hand, I wouldn't need to know, what it means, if I wasn't a member of
SwissRail...
For those that are interested here is the Oxford Dictionary entry for gricer

gricer, n.

Pronunciation: /ˈɡraɪsə(r)/
Etymology:... (Show More)
colloq.

A railway enthusiast, esp. one who assiduously seeks out and photographs unusual trains; loosely, a train-spotter.

The verb is grice. I have always used the word grice in a more specific context, as in gricing (travelling over) new track.

Roger

Richard L. Anglin

I'm guilty ... too anxious and too fumble-fingered ... :-)

Rick

_____

Am 02.06.2014 22:17, schrieb 'Richard L. Anglin':
What a fabulous word! Perhaps we should have t-shirts made ... gircers.
even more fabulous and of a remarkable sound if spelled corrrectly
;-)

Gricing, wow word of the day! That's the first time I'd encountered that
work, and had to look it up. I believe the closest American expressing
would
be rail-fanning.
As I always say: on SwissRail you can learn English. It's true, I
wouldn't know this word if I wasn't a member of SwissRail. On the other
hand, I wouldn't need to know, what it means, if I wasn't a member of
SwissRail...
:-)

I disagree with the Oxford definition. Collins has a closer definition. To the best of my knowledge all the people I have been acquainted with through railways would define gricing simply as ' travelling at home or abroad to see, photograph and travel on trains' - in other words justs a shorter term for railway enthusiasts or railfan.

I found this definition in an 'urban dictionary' It comes closest to my interpretation (apart from the 'trainspotter bit' - a decent ptoportion of 'Gricers' I have known have not been trainspotters in the nerdy sense:

"A trainspotter, someone who braves rainy and windy station platforms to catch a glimpse of unusual trains. An unproved etymology holds that this word comes from a humorous pronunciation of “grouse”, making the connection between the supposed resemblance of trainspotting to grouse-shooting. The verb grice and the participle gricing are back-formations from gricer. This is from the website for Times Online and is my sense for the word as it is currently used. I would drop the word 'unusual' as a more generic definition would focus on fascination with trains as evidenced by gricing, i.e. wandering about the planet to see, ride, and photograph them."

George Raymond

For those that are interested here is the Oxford Dictionary entry for gricer
gricer, n.
A railway enthusiast, esp. one who assiduously seeks out and photographs unusual trains; loosely, a train-spotter.
Roger
In the US, we call ourselves railfans.

US railway employees have a less flattering name for us: foamers.

George

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Roger Graham" <rogersrailwaygen@btinternet.com>
------------------------------------

--
[Please delete old messages when answering!] <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
Yahoo Groups Links

-----
E-Mail ist virenfrei.
Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
Version: 2014.0.4592 / Virendatenbank: 3955/7610 - Ausgabedatum: 02.06.2014

Krist van Besien

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM, desvondevon desvondevon@yahoo.com
[SwissRail] <SwissRail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

(certainly more people use the ticket office than use the restaurants)
I wouldn't be surprised is more people used the restaurants (and
ticket office) then the ticket office. I certainly am never in the
ticket office (except for my annual pass renewal) but do visit the
businesses in the station quite often. My dentist is even there...

Krist