Muttenz Yard

Andrew

Could i please ask for your help and advice. Although i have been to Switzerland many times, i have never filmed the freight activity around Muttenz yard.

I will be travelling from The UK by train in early May using Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Basel. I would like to have a couple of days filming in the Muttenz area before moving on to Fluelen.

1) Which stations would be best for filming freight traffic coming in and out of the yard ? I am guessing that stations either side of the yard would be better than Muttenz SBB itself.

2) Could anybody suggest reasonably priced hotel accomodation in that area that i could access by train having arrived at Basel, probably in mid evening. Obviously Basel and Muttenz are close to each other so it seems logical to film in the Muttenz area before moving down to Fluelen.

I would probably do the same in reverse order before heading back to The UK.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Neil Larry

I have stopped in the IBIS budget at Pratelln. Its a good location at the
east end of the yards. Less than 5mins walk from station. Almost everything
coming off yard eastbound comes thru the station

Cheers Neil (Bedford GB)

bs177@...

---In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, <12lda28c@...> wrote :

I have stopped in the IBIS budget at Pratelln. Its a good location at the
east end of the yards. Less than 5mins walk from station. Almost everything
coming off yard eastbound comes thru the station

Dont expect too much in the daytime especially the morning. All freights exiting or arriving from the Swiss end of the yard have to go through Pratteln station. If the IBIS subscribes to the TNW visitors card then it is worth staying there. You might get a better deal for hotels in the French or German parts, and if they subscribe to the visitors card giving free travel so much the better.

For freights entering the north end of the yard, forget it, I have not found anywhere other than Basel Bad.

There is a bridge running over the whole width of the yards which is accessible from Muttenz station but you need to be very nimble on your feet as there are about 7 or 8 yards which are bisected by the bridge and different traffics use different yards. Reference to the graphic timetable will explain the layout of the yards.

Those nearest Muttenz station tend to be for either freights to and from France and the Westernmost lines for private sector operators not stopping heading into Switzerland also trains needing further sorting and southbound infra services.. Next are the holding sidings for the shunt and hump locos plus the occasional SBBI loco.

In the middle are the loco lines and where the occasional private owner locos are stabled. There are long lines of locos below you in the morning and these drift off as the day and evening progresses.

The far and lower lines easternmost are generally for trains to and from Germany and needing loco changes. You can often see trains approaching in the distance from both directions but need to be quick as they dont hang around. Germany bound private sector trains often run through, and trains get shunted by the trip 843's from yard to yard as required. These 843's do not seem to be stable and change on a regular basis.

482's hang around under the bridge and to the East of the control tower. Traditional traction stables in the low level line described above and in a yard South of the control tower. You can walk down a sloped road keeping the control tower on your left and get most if not all. If you go straight onto a gravelled track and car park, you can get some of those parked in the South yard. If you do not cross any lines, no-one seems to worry. There is a concrete staircase off the bridge adjacent to the control tower which might give a chance for photos without having to dash across the road. If you keep on this and dont make yourself too obvious, again, no-one seems to worry.

You will have difficulty getting anything in the north end of the yards, and the only chance is off the 00 and 30 S3 departures from Basel SBB which are routed via the freight lines and past Basel Wolf joining the main line just before Muttenz station.

I generally go loco hunting in the morning at Muttenz, and freight hunting at Pratteln in the afternoon and evening.

cheers
bruce

John

Hi. Can't help you with locations for Muttenz. But hotel gen, I use the Adagio Access in St Louis. Ok, it's in France but 2 minute walk over border you can get Tram 11 to Basel SBB. Takes about 15 mins. John

OL.Guerbetal