Muttenz Yard

Andrew

Could i please ask for your help and advice. Although i have been to Switzerland many times, i have never filmed the freight activity around Muttenz yard.

I will be travelling from The UK by train in early May using Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Basel. I would like to have a couple of days filming in the Muttenz area before moving on to Fluelen.

1) Which stations would be best for filming freight traffic coming in and out of the yard ? I am guessing that stations either side of the yard would be better than Muttenz SBB itself.

2) Could anybody suggest reasonably priced hotel accomodation in that area that i could access by train having arrived at Basel, probably in mid evening. Obviously Basel and Muttenz are close to each other so it seems logical to film in the Muttenz area before moving down to Fluelen.

I would probably do the same in reverse order before heading back to The UK.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Neil Larry

I have stopped in the IBIS budget at Pratelln. Its a good location at the
east end of the yards. Less than 5mins walk from station. Almost everything
coming off yard eastbound comes thru the station

Cheers Neil (Bedford GB)

bs177@...

---In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, <12lda28c@...> wrote :

I have stopped in the IBIS budget at Pratelln. Its a good location at the
east end of the yards. Less than 5mins walk from station. Almost everything
coming off yard eastbound comes thru the station

Dont expect too much in the daytime especially the morning. All freights exiting or arriving from the Swiss end of the yard have to go through Pratteln station. If the IBIS subscribes to the TNW visitors card then it is worth staying there. You might get a better deal for hotels in the French or German parts, and if they subscribe to the visitors card giving free travel so much the better.

For freights entering the north end of the yard, forget it, I have not found anywhere other than Basel Bad.

There is a bridge running over the whole width of the yards which is accessible from Muttenz station but you need to be very nimble on your feet as there are about 7 or 8 yards which are bisected by the bridge and different traffics use different yards. Reference to the graphic timetable will explain the layout of the yards.

Those nearest Muttenz station tend to be for either freights to and from France and the Westernmost lines for private sector operators not stopping heading into Switzerland also trains needing further sorting and southbound infra services.. Next are the holding sidings for the shunt and hump locos plus the occasional SBBI loco.

In the middle are the loco lines and where the occasional private owner locos are stabled. There are long lines of locos below you in the morning and these drift off as the day and evening progresses.

The far and lower lines easternmost are generally for trains to and from Germany and needing loco changes. You can often see trains approaching in the distance from both directions but need to be quick as they dont hang around. Germany bound private sector trains often run through, and trains get shunted by the trip 843's from yard to yard as required. These 843's do not seem to be stable and change on a regular basis.

482's hang around under the bridge and to the East of the control tower. Traditional traction stables in the low level line described above and in a yard South of the control tower. You can walk down a sloped road keeping the control tower on your left and get most if not all. If you go straight onto a gravelled track and car park, you can get some of those parked in the South yard. If you do not cross any lines, no-one seems to worry. There is a concrete staircase off the bridge adjacent to the control tower which might give a chance for photos without having to dash across the road. If you keep on this and dont make yourself too obvious, again, no-one seems to worry.

You will have difficulty getting anything in the north end of the yards, and the only chance is off the 00 and 30 S3 departures from Basel SBB which are routed via the freight lines and past Basel Wolf joining the main line just before Muttenz station.

I generally go loco hunting in the morning at Muttenz, and freight hunting at Pratteln in the afternoon and evening.

cheers
bruce

John

Hi. Can't help you with locations for Muttenz. But hotel gen, I use the Adagio Access in St Louis. Ok, it's in France but 2 minute walk over border you can get Tram 11 to Basel SBB. Takes about 15 mins. John

OL.Guerbetal

-------- Forwarded and repaired message --------
Betreff: Re: Muttenz Yard
Datum: 21 Jan 2015 12:59:23 -0800
Von: yatton123@yahoo.co.uk
An: SwissRail@yahoogroups.com

This video, filmed mid afternoon, might be useful . It starts at Nordkopf , the tank train is on the Auhafen branch. At around 04.15 it moves to what is probably the best placed bridge in Basel. It covers the main passenger lines (RHS). Traffic coming in from France, Germany and the other yards to the north and west of Basel come into Muttenz A yard which is in the centre ,including at 05.10 a train from the UK (Hams Hall) - the loco returns at 06.35. The active departure yard on the left is Muttenz G yard. Later (06.50) it moves to Bad station. Is it Lenzburg at the end ??

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-9WK0RE>

bs177@...

---In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, <muesche2-swissrail@...> wrote :

-------- Forwarded and repaired message --------
Betreff: Re: Muttenz Yard

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-9WK0RE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-9WK0RE>

Could you please check the link, comes up as non-existent for me. Cheers
bruce

Nigel Emery

On 21/01/2015 16:09, muffcj@yahoo.co.uk [SwissRail] wrote:

On 21/01/2015 16:09, muffcj@yahoo.co.uk [SwissRail] wrote:

1) Which stations would be best for filming freight traffic coming in and out of the yard ? I am guessing that stations either side of the yard would be better than Muttenz SBB itself.
My favourite station location in the area is Liestal. Of course you miss the traffic heading via Brugg but you gain the passenger traffic routed via the Adlertunnel. Most useful in the afternoon because there is a center road used by all freight and non-stop passenger traffic heading towards Basel so it's effectively a two way shot.

OL.Guerbetal

Forwarding unfortunately truncated the link of the youtube video.
This should now be the correct link:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q36I-9WK0RE>

Markus

yatton123

Bruce
Put in ''Dauerbetrieb in Basel'' in the YouTube search box and it's the 09.08
video ''Internationaler Verkehr Dauerbetrieb in Basel''.

gordonwis

I usually go to Pratteln but it is to some extent the 'lazy' option as everything comes at you on a plate. One reaosn why I stopped off at Rheinfelden last November, but that only gets you the Frick route traffic (which is pretty intense nevertheless). Liestal has been mentioned but you have to use Pratteln if you want the combined Gotthard / Limmatal / Loetschberg freight traffic as Liestal misses the Frick route traffic.

I have also stayed at the Ibis budget (ex ETAP) near Pratteln station. It was fine, but then I am familiar with what to expect from the Accor hotel groups's budget brand egg box aka prefab aka rabbit hutch hotels. The wikipedia page is reasonably accurate description of ETAP. The exchange rate issue might make you consider the French option of St Louis.

As regards the video, the bridge film starts at 04.50 in the video rather than 04.15 I think. How does one access this bridge?

bs177@...

---In SwissRail@yahoogroups.com, <gordonwis@...> wrote :

As regards the video, the bridge film starts at 04.50 in the video rather than 04.15 I think. How does one access this bridge?

Using Google maps, it would appear to be a footpath/cycle track linking Falkanstrasse with Schweizeraustrasse. Nearest public transport seems to be a tidy walk away - bus 47 being nearest (pantheon) but infrequent and 63 (Luzert). Tram 14 runs further South (kapperli). Grateful to Markus for coming up with the link.
Cheers
Bruce

yatton123

The bridge video does start at 4.15 - it's just a different position. It starts at the Auhafen branch end of the bridge. The bridge is called Falkenstrasse on maps and is non-vehicular. There are trains which run in from Germany which do not go east of Muttenz. There's a Hupac to Basel Wolf, the RRL
container train to Kleinhueningen and tank trains to Auhafen (the train at 4.15 looks like one). There is also the BLS Brownie hauled train originating at Bonfol. The variety of motive power is far greater at Muttenz than at Pratteln.
Many of the SBB 482s only work as far as Muttenz. There is the regularly 482 double headed daily chemical train from Ludwigshafen (I'm pretty sure that it is on the video). Another example is that Crossrail's 145s only work as far as Muttenz. As well as the 437 F - SNCF (many with SNCB drivers) there are CBR/Europorte ones on a Friday.

Simon

It is also worth looking at train and bus travel combinations to get you out of the Basel suburbs and into the countryside. There are some lovely shots to be had on the Bözberg route.
This is a gentle 20 mins walk from Frick Bahnhof...
http://tinyurl.com/n2k4u8f
http://tinyurl.com/on7ocko
These are about 5 mins walk from the bus stop in the middle of Ziehen. From Basel SBB this involves a train and two buses (00:52 minutes travel time) but both these shots are worth the trip.
http://tinyurl.com/mor8n5p
http://tinyurl.com/olv66yd

George Raymond

It is also worth looking at train and bus travel combinations to get you out of the Basel suburbs and into the countryside. There are some lovely shots to be had on the Bözberg route.
Simon, thank you for the pictures and congratulations on catching re-routed TGVs in good weather and in nice settings you spent some time getting to.

George
(Basel-area resident since 1990)