Search for Swiss rail photos

George Raymond

I am currently preparing an article on signalling on Switzerland's
narrow-gauge railways, and am looking for some good-quality, recent photos
to illustrate it. (I would use a photo only with permission and would
indicate the photographer's name in the article.)

Searching in Google is proving inefficient. Can anyone suggest one or more
sites with a large, searchable collection of recent Swiss rail photos?

Thanks in advance.

George

John Lovda

Look for "jlovda" (me) on Flickr. Maybe they are a little older than you want, especially advertising locos but there is a lot there.

John

ian.alexander1@...

George

Is 2008 recent enough? If so try my Flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandi/sets

If not search Flickr for more suitable.

Regards

Ian Alexander
Sent from Windows Mail

I am currently preparing an article on signalling on Switzerland's
narrow-gauge railways, and am looking for some good-quality, recent photos
to illustrate it. (I would use a photo only with permission and would
indicate the photographer's name in the article.)

Searching in Google is proving inefficient. Can anyone suggest one or more
sites with a large, searchable collection of recent Swiss rail photos?

Thanks in advance.

George

glenn allen

Photos of RhB signals, in the process of being uploaded.
They are also on my cloud drive thingy in full HD. I'll have to dig out my access to it so if you want access I can set it up.

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/fotbot/library/RhB%20signals

OL.Guerbetal

Am 13.08.2015 um 12:59 schrieb 'George Raymond':
I am currently preparing an article on signalling on Switzerland's
narrow-gauge railways, and am looking for some good-quality, recent photos
to illustrate it.
Hello George
You couldn't say it a bit more exactly? I have a lot photos from narrow gauge railways including infrastructure, but I don't upload much of it. However, if I know what you need, I might search my archive.

Markus, G�rbetal

George Raymond

I am currently preparing an article on signalling on Switzerland's
narrow-gauge railways, and am looking for some good-quality, recent
photos to illustrate it.
To be a bit more precise: I would be especially interested in recent photos
of RhB and RBS showing at least one signal, turnout and train. A shot of
this kind for example at the three-way junction at Worblaufen (from a
viewpoint accessible to the public) could be interesting.

George

Andrew Moglestue

If I'm allowed to be a pedant here ...

I don't think RBS would go after you for publishing a photo, take from a public area or otherwise.
I honestly don't think they care.

But technically, even if you are in a publically accessible area, you do not automatically have a right to publish pictures you take.
There were cases some years ago of people being told they could not take commercial pictures at Zurich HB.
So family and souvenir snapshots are OK, but anything being sold,even if you personally are not being payed, crosses a line.
So a magazine that people pay money for or that is part orf a subscription package is a commercial venture in their eyes.
I guess the Zürich HB example above was a jobsworth who took his work too seriously, and most railway agents in Switzerland are extremely friendly to photographers.
On the "private" railways mores so than on SBB.
But legally speaking, the jobsworth was right.

So it's nothing to worry about.
As I said, with 99.9999% probability they are not going to care.

But if push does come to shove, the fact that you stood in a publically accessible area is no defence.

Chris Wood

But technically, even if you are in a publically accessible area, you do not automatically have a
right to publish pictures you take.
That is not my understanding; ever since I first came across the concept, I've always been under the impression that Switzerland, like the UK, but unlike (say) France or Italy, has a fairly robust version of "freedom of panorama". For what it is worth, Wikimedia Commons agrees with me:

"Pursuant to Article 27 of the Copyright Act, a work permanently situated in a place accessible to the public may be depicted and the depiction offered, transferred, broadcast or otherwise distributed. The depiction must not be three-dimensional and it must not serve the same purpose as the original."

"The place must be accessible to the public on a de facto basis. The legal ownership status of the place is irrelevant to the applicability of the provision."

"The depicted work itself does not have to be accessible to the public. Freedom of panorama also applies to a work on private (not publicly accessible) ground provided it can be seen with the naked eye from a place accessible to the public."

Whether FoP applies to publically accessible interior spaces is a bit of a grey area, and I guess it rather debatable as to which bits of Zurich HB are interior space (does an open-sided train shed count?).

And of course it may be that the act of taking the photograph from railway land may be prohibited, although I'm not clear that would impact on subsequent publication by a third party.

But it is my understanding that publication of pictures of open air railway infrastructure in Switzerland taken from a genuinely public place should be absolutely fine.

OL.Guerbetal

Am 14.08.2015 um 14:21 schrieb chris_j_wood@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
But it is my understanding that publication of pictures of open air
railway infrastructure in Switzerland taken from a genuinely public
place should be absolutely fine.
Absolutely. The cases in Zürich HB were not a question of the "freedom of panorama" but the question of using a place dedicated for passengers to take fashion photographs and the like. To be more clear:

If I take a photo, as a passenger standing on the platform, of the Disentis exit signals, that's freedom of panorama.

If I bring with me some BEMO models in an exhibition box which I put on the Disentis platform, install some photo lights to get the wanted effect and ask passengers of RhB and MGB not to step into my picture of BEMO models before a true railway signal, then I "abuse" a publicly accessible site and RhB is of course allowed to forbid me this action or to ask a payment for the use of their site.

see the difference?

Markus

Andrew Moglestue

I stand corrected