Gotthard tunnel celebration

John Lovda

I was thinking about going to Switzerland for the opening of the new tunnel. However.....I just received a monthly SBB e-mail news letter and it stated they are expecting 50,000 to 100,000 people for the events on June 5 and 6!!! They will also be taking reservation shortly for rides through the tunnel. I assume all of these people will be gathering at the depots at Erstfeld and the Italian side. I wonder about hotels. It sounds like I wouldn't be able to ride thru for a week after the opening. What a paradox.

Martin Baumann

I should point out that regular passenger service through the Gotthard base tunnel does not start until 11.12.2016. There will be passenger carrying trains during the celebrations mentioned and possibly other times before December 2016