More questions about Gotthard Tunnel opening celebration

John Lovda

Does anyone have more detailed information about what will take place at Erstfeld and Biasca on June 4th and 5th? There was a previous statement on the SBB website (somewhere) that they were expecting over 50,000 people for the celebration. Since I am not a Swiss citizen, I can't enter the drawing for the June 1 ride anyway. If there will not be any public train rides on those days, what will happen besides just looking at the portals? Speeches by government and railroad officials? Will there be historic locomotives to walk through? What would make the day special for me to attend? I am assuming the "action" will take place about a km north of the old depot by the tunnel entrance. From previous rides past that area, it does not seem to be normally accessible to the public. I am planning to come this summer to take pictures anyway. I just don't want to be really disappointed if flights are not available around then.

Thanks,
John Lovda
Canton, OH USA

George Raymond

This is not a direct answer to your question, but 2016 is a good year to come to the Gotthard in any case for a last look at all the trains on the mountain route. George

stephenhorobin

In my experience the Swiss are very slow at releasing details for events on the railways.
However what they are good at is organisation. Whatever the event turns out to be you can guarantee it will be a good one.
Their will certainly be sausages ,beer, music and speeches! (and trains)
Gottardo 2016 – Opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel. http://www.gottardo2016.ch

http://www.gottardo2016.ch

Gottardo 2016 – Opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel.
 On 1 June 2016, Switzerland will celebrate the world's longest railway tunnel with an unforgettable event – info, program, reservations.

View on www.gottardo2016.ch http://www.gottardo2016.ch
Preview by Yahoo

Steve.

OL.Guerbetal

Am 10.01.2016 um 09:21 schrieb stephenhorobin@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
Their will certainly be sausages ,beer, music and speeches! (and trains)
The speeches will rather be on 1st July. But I don't think you will miss it, when you are eating your sausage and drinking your beer...
;-)

I appreciate that coming from the States, forward planning is necessary. However, to be fair to the organisers, there is still five months to go. Why should they issued the full detail yet?

But, the official web site does state that a high light of the 4/5 June events will be shuttle trains through the tunnel. AFAIK this is not the same as the first train for which there is a ballot. One might assume that the 'shuttle' trains will be open to all visitors.

In terms of the other events, normally the Swiss have old and new locos on display and there might be special trains organised by preservations societies to take visitors the area

OL.Guerbetal

Am 10.01.2016 um 19:23 schrieb Gordon Wiseman:
In terms of the other events, normally the Swiss have old and new
locos on display and there might be special trains organised by
preservations societies to take visitors the area
Unfortunately there is no historic locomotive fitted to go on ETCS level 2 yet. So the special trains are rather unlikely.

On Sun, 10/1/16, Guerbetaler muesche2-swissrail@yahoo.de [SwissRail] <SwissRail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Unfortunately there is no historic locomotive fitted to go
on ETCS level

2 yet. So the special trains are rather unlikely.

Of course, stupid me. Especially as I have seen close up the covered-over traditional signals - at Fluelen last August!

John Lovda

Gordon made the point about shuttle trains. I was led to believe that there would be one passenger train in 2016 and it would be a special on June 1st only for Swiss citizens. If there were shuttles on June 4th and 5th the wait couldn't be any worse than trying to get tickets for a Rolling stones concert.

George Raymond

Swiss citizens (no matter where they live) and Swiss residents can enter the
lottery for pairs of seats in the June 1 train.

When entering the lottery online, you have to agree that if you win a pair
of tickets, you both will be subject to an advance security check.

George

Kidger Paul

George Yes, a Swiss relative of mine has applied so I am hoping that he will be one of the lucky few. Maybe I will be invited as the second person...or will those be restricted to Swiss residents /citizens?

John Lovda

I was told in an e-mail reply that only Swiss citizens will be able to ride the June 1 trains (500 winners, 1,000 tickets).

John

George Raymond

I was told in an e-mail reply that only Swiss citizens will be able to
ride the June 1 trains (500 winners, 1,000 tickets).

See
http://www.gottardo2016.ch/en/competition

George