re More questions about Gotthard Tunnel

Martin Baumann

Revenue freight will start to use the tunnel from June this year so there will be a gradual falling off of traffic via the old route. I would assume, though cannot confirm, that trains containing hazardous materials will not be permitted in the tunnel as is the case with LBT

I sent an e-mail to the Gottardo2016 offices regarding the events on June 4 and 5. Here is the woman's response:

Dear Mr Lovda
Thank you for your email. As train enthusiast you will definitely enjoy the programme of the public event.
The celebrations will take place on four sites, namely the former installation sites of Rynächt and Pollegio, Erstfeld and Biasca. Highlights of the public event are tunnel rides with the Gotthard shuttle train at up to 200 km/h, presentations by Swiss artists and an interactive multimedia exhibition on the Gotthard.
Other activities include visiting the maintenance and intervention centres (MIC) in Erstfeld and Biasca, seeing a fire and rescue train in action and getting a feeling for the real-life working conditions of a miner in a fascinating tour circuit. Quiz fans will have the chance to test their knowledge of tunnel trivia and amateur photographers can participate to a photo-sharing contest. Food, beverages and merchandising stands will also be present.
In April 2016 you will find a detailed programme for the public event on our website www.gottardo2016.ch/en http://www.gottardo2016.ch/en. At that point you will also be able to book a ticket for a special journey through the tunnel.

Kind regards,
Sophie Nägeli

John Lovda

Martin: Your comment regarding hazardous materials must mean that either the two "old" tunnels (Gotthard and LB) will stay open into the future to handle this or the stuff will shift to trucks. Am I missing something here?

John

Martin Baumann

As I said I cannot confirm what the HAZMAT situation will be in the GBT but both old tunnels will remain in use far passenger trains in any case

gordonwis

Martin wrote: but both old tunnels will
remain in use far passenger trains in any case

Comment about the tunnel remaining open re-ignites also the question about whether stations will reopen once capacity is freed up on the old route. On the Ticino side, the stations serving significant nearby population already have a skeleton commuter service. I assume there is a chance these will reopen to full through the day local services?

On the North side, Wassen station is distant from the village so could be argued is not with reopening, Gurtnellen is close to the village but the village isn't very big - would this reopen? Amsteg-Silenen is the most interesting case. The infrastructure including station sign and platforms and subway is still in situ as if it was assumed that there was almost a certainty that it would reopen some day. Intschi which I fondly remember from 1974 as one of the minor halts has been expunged, but could there be a tourist potential to rebuild a halt to serve the cable car up to Aminsee?

On Tue, 12/1/16, jlovda@yahoo.com wrote:

In April 2016 you will find a detailed programme for the
public event on our website www.gottardo2016.ch/en
http://www.gottardo2016.ch/en.

That seems clear then. Most of the response just repeats what's already on the web site.

The last paragraph is the important one, confirming when the full programme will be released and suggesting that the shuttles will be free access to all (subject to some long queuing perhaps?)

OL.Guerbetal

Am 12.01.2016 um 23:58 schrieb Gordon Wiseman:
Comment about the tunnel remaining open re-ignites also the question
about whether stations will reopen once capacity is freed up on the
old route.
The only thing which really can be taken as certain, is the fact that nobody, this is zero persons to count them in detail, /knows/ what will be the future of the old Gotthard line. Too many questions remain unanswered at the moment. One of them, perhaps the most important one, will be answered on 28th February 2016, when the Swiss people decide in a referendum if a new road tunnel will be built or not. Not building a new tunnel could mean that a car shuttle on the old Gotthard rail tunnel is necessary for some time, when the old road tunnel is refurbished. It could also mean that some freight capacity is needed on the old rail line.

Apart from this, only local freight will remain on the old line. So the situation will be very different from the Lötschberg.

Markus, Gürbetal