Re460 with strange paint

John Lovda

Look here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/32594496894/in/dateposted/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/32594496894/in/dateposted/

Taken June 1, 2016 during my Gottardo 2016 trip. I forgot I had this until I decided to post it on Flickr. Very glossy paint with purple tint, different nose layout. It can't be seen here but the "R" description on the other side is painted inside one of the foot steps to the driver's cab. An experiment?

John

OL.Guerbetal

Am 14.03.2017 um 15:35 schrieb jlovda@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/32594496894/in/dateposted/
Taken June 1, 2016 during my Gottardo 2016 trip. I forgot I had this
until I decided to post it on Flickr. Very glossy paint with purple
tint, different nose layout. It can't be seen here but the "R"
description on the other side is painted inside one of the foot steps
to the driver's cab. An experiment?
460 016 was the second Re 460 to be modernized. Logo and number on the front are the new standard. The colour effects are due to the light in Z�rich HB plus your camera. Andr� Knoerr took a picture 7 days earlier and there the colours look quite normal.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/66296731@N07/27153614182>

Markus, G�rbetal

John Lovda

I won't get into argument but it hit me immediately with the very glossy paint. What you see is what I saw with my eyes. If this paint is used on all refurbed Re460s it looks ugly.

John Lovda

Here is another picture of 460s take in Zürich. Big difference. I would like to see Mr. Knoerr's photo. https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/17270687055/in/dateposted/

OL.Guerbetal

Am 14.03.2017 um 21:57 schrieb jlovda@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
I won't get into argument but it hit me immediately with the very glossy paint.
The paint is normal but there seems to be some protective coating on the locomotive. I have no details about it at the moment.

Am 14.03.2017 um 22:05 schrieb jlovda@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
I would like to see Mr. Knoerr's photo.
You didn't happen to see the link I posted?

The protective coating is on all refurbished Re 460, see here Re 460118:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/40826712@N00/30115373000>

Markus: Yes, the picture you provided has the same glossy paint finish as my photo. When did they add this "protective finish?" It looks bad. Why only 460's. My next picture on Flickr shows a 420 "Lion." Same low gloss paint as all previous red SBB locomotives I've seen. Pininfarina must be choking. The only other locomotives I've seen with a higher gloss red paint are FO, BVZ, MGB.

John

Chris Wood

Are you sure there is any paint involved?.

It is becoming more and more common to apply vehicle liveries using printed vinyl wraps rather than painting them on. That applies to all sorts of vehicles, not just in the rail industry, from small road vehicles to A380 airliners. If the SBB have decided to use such wraps on the 460s, then the shininess might simply be a result of that.

gordonwis

What is the problem with a slightly glossier finish?

After all I presume one of the aims is to make the locos last longer without getting dirty which one assumes is what SBB would like the public to see

.

John Lovda

I found a picture describing what the paint is on the 460 I noted earlier. The info was hidden in an unusual new spot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/34166948712/in/dateposted/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/34166948712/in/dateposted/

John

Chris Wood

"2K PUR" probably indicates "Two-component polyurethane" varnish.