A question about "sputniks."

John Lovda

I found this old Sputnik picture from the 70's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/32652981074/in/dateposted/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/32652981074/in/dateposted/

On this Swiss Express version did they have standard European couplers on one end and the special Swiss Express knuckle coupler on the other?

John

Max Wyss

This is correct.

Unfortunately, on that picture, the baggage cart obstructs the view to the
automatic coupler side of the Sputnik.

FWIW, the couplers used with the Swiss Express cars were according to the
UIC specification (most likely draft) of the era. These couplers were, if I
remember correctly, used elsewhere too, for example in coal trains in
Germany (my memory may let me down on this).

Max.

OL.Guerbetal

Am 17.03.2017 um 21:30 schrieb jlovda@yahoo.com [SwissRail]:
I found this old Sputnik picture from the 70's. On this Swiss Express
version did they have standard European couplers on one end and the
special Swiss Express knuckle coupler on the other?
They still have automatic coupler on one and screw coupling on the other end. But they now belong to BLS. Six of the ten should still be around, now used between Bern and B�nigen.

Markus, G�rbetal

csipromo

In order to permit shunting of the Swiss Express consists, then equipped with automatic couplings, it was deemed necessary to equip a number of Sputniks with automatic couplings on one end and the normal coupling on the other. This enabled shunting of those coaches/consists without requiring specially equipped shunters. Since the end of the Swiss Express concept, the coaches were adapted so that the service coach (AD) and the pilot coach (Bt [rebuilt B]) received standard couplings on the ends, meaning that the consist as a rake could be shunted without requiring a special use car.
Even though they were no longer essential, when the fleet of EWIII coaches was sold to BLS, the Sputniks were included as part of the package. The specially equipped Sputniks are still used when coaches from one of the consists or part of a consist need to be moved around.